• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork Question

Started by David6340, March 23, 2006, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

Hi Everybody,
I purchased a 6lb Pork Butt Roast (Bone In) from the local grocery. I'm not quite sure if this is a loin or shoulder. Does it make a difference?  
I had planned to smoke to an internal temp of 190 for pulled pork.

Thanks,

Dave

I Love The Smell Of BBQ In The Morning!

Chez Bubba

David,

The magic word here is "butt".[:D] Isn't it always? Yes, it is most probably a shoulder, especially since it's "bone in". Don't ask me why the front is a butt & the butt is a ham, I didn't name them.

A loin is usually boneless & is shaped like a bratwurst on Barry Bonds-type steroids. Butts are usually kind of square and picnics are L-shaped with the skin on. At least that's the way they cut them here. Your best yield is with the butt.

If you have a loin, it will have little fat marbling in the meat & if you cook it like a butt (8-15 hours), you will have something that no amount of gravy can cure. Think paste. Really, really dry paste.[;)][xx(]

A good butt looks fatty to the eye, but the fat is your friend. The long slow cook will melt it through the meat & drip away, leaving you with a moist & tasty hunk that just falls apart when you touch it.

<font size="4"><font color="blue">Attention seasoned forum members:</font id="blue"></font id="size4">
Feel free to lambast me with soundbyte quotes, I've provided plenty.[:D] And it's not like I don't deserve a taste of my own medicine![;)][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />David,

The magic word here is "butt".[:D] .... Your best yield is with the butt.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So what you saying is: You like big butt,you cannot lie......baby got back! baby got back![:D][:0]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

zhongyi

The meat label will describe the meat in 3 parts.  First is the type,  second is what part of the animal it came from (the primal cut) and third is how the meat is cut (sub-primal).  In your case, it is 1)pork, 2)from the shoulder (butt) and cut as a roast.  I recommend looking at a primal chart for beef and pork and learning the different names and locations.  That should end any future confusion as to what you are buying.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />So what you saying is: You like big butt,you cannot lie......baby got back! baby got back![:D][:0]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
No, actually, the larger butts I do aren't quite as moist as the smaller one's. I think all that exterior fat on the big one's detracts from the smaller one's better mar<u>bling</u>.

This is the most press Sir-Mix-A-Lot has gotten in years!![:D] Yo, I said "bling".[:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

IKnowWood

I have seen the Boston Butt and the regular Butt Roast as well as even the Pork Shoulder Roast.  

I liked using the Pork Shoulder roast, its trimmed of the bone and leaves some soom good mix and meat and fat.  And its smaller, allowing more surface to inner meat texture and taste.  And it cooks faster.

The larger Boson Butt is large and has more top fat and bone (at least what I have seen) so might be very juicy.  If I got the time then maybe.

Chez, your challenge sounds more like "Pulll my finger, come'on just pull it"  Kinda like playing chicken with a lemming.  In the end, someone is going to taste like chicken.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba Posted -
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">A good butt looks fatty to the eye, but the fat is your friend..... leaving you with a moist & tasty hunk that just falls apart when you touch it.

Ouch, really hard to resist....[:p][B)][:D][:D]

Cold Smoke

jaeger

<font color="blue"><font size="4">Welcome back Cold Smoke!!!</font id="size4"></font id="blue">
It's been awhile since we've heard from you! I hope all is well. Glad to see you posting again.  

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

Smokin Joe

On our blog we have done a couple of segments on the primal cuts of meat, and just recently completed our discussion on beef.

We are currently doing a segment on the cuts of pork available from the primal cuts, so drop by and check it out...hopefully it will help answer some of the questions you may have about the different cuts out there.

http://www.carolinesrub.com/blog/template_archives_cat.asp?cat=17
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!