• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Baby Backs (Dry)

Started by DBWCigar, September 22, 2012, 05:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBWCigar

Did some Baby Back using the 3-2-1 scenerio and they came out a little dry.. I had them sit a day in the fridge with some dry rub.. Once the Smoker was at 220 and the smoke was pouring I put the ribs in (they sat to room temp) and spritzed them every hour with a good IPA. Onve the (3) was completed I wrapped them with apple juice and let them complete the (2) phase.. Then finally, I unwrapped them and put on some sauce for the last hour.. Once I pulled them I let them sit in a pan lightly covered in foill for about 30 mins..

Where's I go wrong?

dave

GusRobin

I do spare ribs with a 3-2-1. When I do baby backs they end up more of a 2.5 - 1.5 - .5 to 1 (I do a "tender" check)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

I like 2-2-.5 with BB. OR 2-1.5-.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Remember that the 3-2-1 method is just a guide. Ambient temps, wind, type of ribs, ect. can play a role in outcome. It is best to learn the look of the ribs to tell when  they are done do you don't over cook them.

As what others stated I like to use 2-2-1 or 2-1-1 with baby backs. Also if you apply a rub with a lot of salt and let them rest in the fridge for an entire day the salt can pull out moisture from the ribs. If I am using a high salt content rub I will apply right before I put them in the smoker.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DBWCigar

Thanks guys...

- I read somewhere that the 3-2-1 method you can take the ribs for the (2) protin and FTC them.. then place them on the grill to firm them up some with the sauce..

- I can't even remember if the rub I used had salt... but you can bet your sweet pork I will the next time..

and finally, the darn things where awesome today...

Dave

zueth

I do 3-2-1 with baby backs and have never had a problem with them being dry.  make sure you have a really good seal with the foil when you boat them.

tskeeter

DBW, like others who have posted, I do baby back ribs for 4 - 4 1/2 hours.  And I try to pick a package of ribs that shows more fat running through the meat.  It's the fat that keeps ribs from getting dry.