• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Salt Question

Started by JZ, November 19, 2012, 10:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyogoob

I often use the Kutas recipe for curing pastrami and corned beef on wild game, mostly elk, a couple times a year and for as long as he has had his book(s) out.  Always turned out OK for me.

elk:

Ooh, homemade sauerkraut:
Life's been good to me so far.

JZ

Boy that stuff sure looks good. Gonna have to try making some kraut one day. Just me that eats it though.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear that it is still very salty. Hash is a good idea, maybe soups could be another; just omit the salt in the recipe and adjust the taste at the end if needed.

It may work well in the following recipe:
Black Bean & Pastrami Soup

If it will hold together, you can slice it really thin and use it to wrap around vegetables.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks Habs,

I made some corned beef hash last night. It was based on a recipe from "Allrecipes.com" and adjusted based on some of the comments from people that made it. It turned out pretty good and the salt was drawn out of the pastrami enough that the taste of it was right on - not too much salt anymore. The wife even liked it except that some idiot  ::)added too much pepper. I still like it and will likely add some more potatoes to take up some of the extra pepper. Gonna go and mix up a little with some egg for breakfast.

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you made some excellent corned beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JZ

Update. The corned beef hash wasn't popular and most of it got tossed. So I was going to toss the rest of the salty corned beef and then I thought .... hey why not try cooking it in water with the pickling spices like the book recommended for corned beef. So I gave it a try and holy crap it worked. The meat is not too salty any more and the pickle flavor is right on. The end result is very tender too. It slices just fine but after reheating in the micro, so I can have a hot sammie you have to be careful lifting the slices onto the bread or it will fall apart.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Glad you were able to save your corned beef, and reap the rewards of your work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.