• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Christmas Briskets

Started by Sailor, December 16, 2012, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Doing some Briskets for Christmas.  Picked up 2 briskets from Wally World yesterday.  15 plus and 11 plus pounders.  Rubbed them down with EVOL and then rubbed them with the famous Jan's Rub.  Put them into the 225 degree preheated Bradley and put 4 hours of hickory to them.  Put them in the Bradley at 4pm and at 11pm I had to cut the point off one as I did not want a fire during my beauty sleep.  Took Big Daddy off after 22 hrs and FTCed.  Little man now has the prime spot and will get the heat.  He is running at 178 IT so he should come up to temp pretty quick.  Big Daddy was hogging all of the heat.

I had a pan on the bottom rack to catch dripping and the cabinet temp never got past 190 during the night.  Checked on them several times during the night.  Once I took the pan off the cabinet rocketed up to 225 and the PID kept it there.  I think having that pan it there really added time to the cook.  First time I have tried to catch the drippings and it was a heck of a big load.

Will try to remember to get a shot of the little boy as it goes into FTC

The players

Rubbed down

Big Daddy is a monster and may have to be adjusted after the smoke

After the smoke the point was just to large on Big Daddy and it was up against the wall and to avoid a fire I cut the point at the fat ribbon and put it upstairs.  Not a problem as the points are going to be turned into Burnt Ends anyway

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

what time is the Christmas meal?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Keymaster

Nice job Sailor, Thats a whole bunch of brisket  :)

Sailor

Failed to get any more pics as I was running out of time cutting and bagging.  The briskets had a deep fat cap that I trimmed off.  So out of a raw weight of around 27 pounds I got 12.5 pounds of vac sealed meat.  Did not weigh the fat that I trimmed.  Guess it would be pretty close to the 50% rule for what you can expect for a brisket cook.  Had to keep slapping mamma's hand to keep her out of it  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Silvergrizz

That looks great. I have a 16 lb'er in the fridge right now trying to decide which way to go with. Did not know about the 50% rule till reading your post. That helps with my choice, gonna do it all in one piece.
Thanks Grizz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunknimortal

How are you going to reheat them? they look incredible.