Cured beef question

Started by KyNola, December 09, 2012, 07:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Found this if it helps.

Powdered Dextrose,

Used in processing semi-dry cured and dry-cured sausages. A sweetener with only 70% as sweet as regular sugar. A nutrient for lactic acid organisms that help in fermentation, giving the tangy flavor. Dextrose is heavier than meat and forces itself into the cells of the meat.

Use 2-5 Tb. powdered dextrose per 10 lbs. of meat. 1 Lb. 8 oz. powdered dextrose will process approximately 200 lbs. of meat
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

stillsmoking

Really enjoyed reading this post.  I have not posted for quite a while for various reasons but am looking at doing something similiar.  Recently made my first Canadian Bacon using a Habs recipe and got very positive reviews.  The first thing that came to mind after trying the cured pork loin was how a cured beef loin would turn out.  My dad many years ago when I was a kid made beef bacon using flank from beef we raised ourselves.  We all whined about it until we got used to the flavor and when we ran out of the beef bacon of course whined about having to go back to store bought pork bacon. Any rate will be looking at this to see the outcome and will hopefully produce some cured beef of my own in the near future.

SamuelG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 14, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
Quote from: SamuelG on December 12, 2012, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2012, 08:39:26 AM
PEPPERED BEEF ROUNDS

Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 lbs powdered dextrose

Use pieces of top or bottom rounds, about 4-5" thick. Meat is pumped with brine, 10% of the weight of the meat. The meat is then generously rubbed with cracked black pepper and laid down in aging container very tightly, with weighted wooden cover to press meat down. Add just enough brine to cover the meat and let it age for 7 days at 38-40ºF. Meat is removed and placed into a stockinette. Meat also can be laid flat if smokehouse screen is available. The smokehouse should be preheated to 130ºF with dampers wide open, until the surface of the meat is dry. Temperature then is raised to 155ºF with damper 1/4 open. Meat is smoked at this temperature for 4 hours. Smoke then is shut off and the temperature is raised to 210ºF until the internal temperature of the meat is 165ºF. Meat is then placed in cooler for 24 hours before slicing.

This recipe is as written in Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas Copyrite 2007 by The Sausage Maker, Inc.

Gracias.

Sam and any others interested in this recipe. I have a call into the sausage maker on this recipe. My question is if this may be a misprint in the book. As the required amount of dextrose for a 25 lb ham is 2/3 cup this recipe is calling for 2 pounds of dextrose for a 10 pound round. My thoughts are that this may be a a typo and it should read 2 cups instead of 2 pounds. Waiting for a response.

Gracias
SamuelG

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 14, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
Quote from: SamuelG on December 12, 2012, 06:58:06 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2012, 08:39:26 AM
PEPPERED BEEF ROUNDS

Ingredients for 10 lbs

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1 cup Cure #1
1 lb Salt
2 lbs powdered dextrose

Use pieces of top or bottom rounds, about 4-5" thick. Meat is pumped with brine, 10% of the weight of the meat. The meat is then generously rubbed with cracked black pepper and laid down in aging container very tightly, with weighted wooden cover to press meat down. Add just enough brine to cover the meat and let it age for 7 days at 38-40ºF. Meat is removed and placed into a stockinette. Meat also can be laid flat if smokehouse screen is available. The smokehouse should be preheated to 130ºF with dampers wide open, until the surface of the meat is dry. Temperature then is raised to 155ºF with damper 1/4 open. Meat is smoked at this temperature for 4 hours. Smoke then is shut off and the temperature is raised to 210ºF until the internal temperature of the meat is 165ºF. Meat is then placed in cooler for 24 hours before slicing.

This recipe is as written in Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas Copyrite 2007 by The Sausage Maker, Inc.

Gracias.

Sam and any others interested in this recipe. I have a call into the sausage maker on this recipe. My question is if this may be a misprint in the book. As the required amount of dextrose for a 25 lb ham is 2/3 cup this recipe is calling for 2 pounds of dextrose for a 10 pound round. My thoughts are that this may be a a typo and it should read 2 cups instead of 2 pounds. Waiting for a response.

Although they couldn't give me a definitive answer. The agreement is that the recipe should probably read 2 cups of dextrose instead of 2 pounds. Which is what I will be using after I pick up a bottom round on Monday I hope
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

OK guys, need your help.  The cured beef I started two weeks ago is still in the frig, cure applied and vac sealed.  Had intended to have it done before now but time got away from me.  Had intended to get it out today, soak it and allow to air dry over night and smoke tomorrow.  Well, Mr. Blizzard showed up and dumped a load of heavy wet snow, wicked winds and low's in the teens.

My question is, since the piece of beef is still vac sealed with the cure still there is the beef safe to hold for a couple days longer?  My initial guess is that it is safe as I see bacon curing for as long as 3 weeks but I just wanted the professionals opinions.

Thank you for your advice.

Tenpoint5

I think it should be good yet
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

I would be ok with it. But id definately fry a slice or two first to taste. You may want to remove some salt setting that long.
Inside setup.

SamuelG

I have held it over many times, never had any issues.   
SamuelG

FLBentRider

Quote from: SamuelG on December 26, 2012, 08:32:42 PM
I have held it over many times, never had any issues.

Ditto
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Thanks everyone!  It helps me to have some reassurance sometimes.

viper125

KyNola! No way you need more confidence! I have watched and enjoyed your talent for a while now. You always create great meats. Smoke on my friend!
Inside setup.

KyNola

Quote from: viper125 on December 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM
KyNola! No way you need more confidence! I have watched and enjoyed your talent for a while now. You always create great meats. Smoke on my friend!
Thanks V but this was uncharted territory for me.  I've cured lots of meat but never a piece for that long.  I made the decision to throw it away last night after hearing the latest local weather forecast for the next couple of days.  First, an opportunity for freezing rain and sleet followed up by another 1-3 inches of snow.  Granted, I realize I don't live in AK or Canada where the weather we are having would be like a summer's day for those folks, but at 60 years old smoking in cold, wet, sleeting, snowy weather is not my idea of fun and would be pushing 3 weeks on that piece of meat.

An epic fail on my part but that's life.  At least it was only a 2 lb piece of meat and not some expensive load of meat. :)

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on December 28, 2012, 07:49:30 AM
Quote from: viper125 on December 27, 2012, 07:07:26 AM
Thanks V but this was ubcharted territory for me.  I've cured lots of meat but never a piece for that long.  I made the decision to throw it away last night after hearing the latest local weather forecast for the next couple of days.  First, an opportunity for freezing rain and sleet followed up by another 1-3 inches of snow.  Granted, I realize I don't live in AK or Canada where the weather we are having would be like a summer's day for those folks, but at 60 years old smoking in cold, wet, sleeting, snowy weather is not my idea of fun and would be pushing 3 weeks on that piece of meat.

An epic fail on my part but that's life.  At least it was only a 2 lb piece of meat and not some expensive load of meat. :)

I would have tossed it in the freezer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

viper125

Well I hear that about the 60 year thing. Made it my self this year. But thats' why I smoke inside the garage.  Wouldn't try it with any thing other then a electric. But with proper care and setup I feel safe. Even being inside the house the R.A. kills me among a lot o other stuff. And like you I also experiment in small amounts. Not only or fear o being safe, but sometimes even a good recipe to others is some thing I just don't like. Cant call that a failure on your part. Even Nasa scraps deals because o the weather!  ;D I'm sure next time you'll have flying colors!
Inside setup.

SamuelG

So sorry to hear that. It happens....been there too. Can be very frustrating.

I do the same, when it doubt I toss it.

SamuelG