• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt Question

Started by jb, December 13, 2013, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

I started two eight pound butts this morning at 6:45. After the smoke finished, I transferred the butts to my oven. The oven is set at 240. So, they've been cooking for only 7.5 hours. I just checked the IT and both are right around 180. It seems way too soon for this high of an IT. Does it seem strange to anyone else?

jb

Anyway... I guess the obvious answer is that this is the "stall." In the past, the stall always happened around 150-160, but I guess it can happen at 180 as well.

Habanero Smoker

I generally get the stall around 160 -  165°F. If your probe is not in the deepest part of the butt, the stall will register at a higher temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 13, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
I generally get the stall around 160 -  165°F. If your probe is not in the deepest part of the butt, the stall will register at a higher temperature.

Makes sense- thanks.

tskeeter

Job, you might also check a few other spots with your thermometer, or slide your probe in and out a bit.  It's possible that you hit a spot that is reading higher than the rest of your pork.

beefmann

check it in a  few other  places,

TedEbear

Make sure the tip of the probe is not touching a bone or in a fat pocket.  Also, did you monitor both butts?  It would be unusual for both of them to hit 180*F at the same time.