• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

FTCing prime rib

Started by Jezziebella, June 12, 2006, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezziebella

Hi guys,
   I know I read some stuff somewhere about this, but I can't find it now.  It seems to me that if you want your prime rib to stay rare/med.rare that the FTCing should be minimal.  ???  I plan on taking it out at 130 to 135 as suggested but won't it either cook too much or get sort of lukewarm?   Also, I have yet to find a "prime" prime rib.  The butcher at my meat market says he sometimes has it (of course I can order it), but also that it is usually boneless.  I happen to love gnawing on bones so that kinda bums me out.  Is everybody out there but me finding prime meat easily?  Certainly none of the regular grocers carry it and sometimes when I get the urge I just gotta have it! 
    He did have a gorgeous marbled hunk of choice prime rib but I passed and instead got a 2 1/2 lb. aged rib eye that I plan to cold smoke and finish on the grill ala the awesome tri tip suggestion.  Still want to do prime rib, though.  :-*

acords

I personally wouldn't FTC standing rib roast.  FTC works well when the piece of meat is brought up a higher internal temp.  I would however "tent" it and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.  Just MHO, maybe someone else will weigh in on this.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

iceman

I'd check with Old's on this subject. He has the prime rib stuff down to a science.

Bassman

Jezz,
IMO you are correct. I would just let it rest for 15 minutes or so and would not FTC. I did a standing rib roast one time and it came out great just letting it rest. Although I do like my beef a little on the rare side :P
Jack

manxman

I just let mine sit and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, no benefit to FTC'ing IMHO.
Manxman

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Kansan

Oldman, you are always on top of it all.  Excellent point on not letting the meat dictate the schedule. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Oldman

QuoteOldman, you are always on top of it all.  Excellent point on not letting the meat dictate the schedule.
Thank you~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!