First attempt at deer sausage

Started by MrSlick, April 04, 2014, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSlick

Quote from: Bagman on April 10, 2014, 06:48:26 AM
Me and a couple of hunting buddies use to take a couple of hundred pounds of venison to the processor every year for summer sausage, bologna and dogs.  The desire to do our own and the cost of the processing pushed us into the Dark Zone of sausage making.  The flavor and quality of the sausage from the processor was top notch so we talked to the owner about his recipe.  He was not willing to divulge the recipe but agreed to sell us the seasonings packaged for 25# batches (which we always make) at a price cheaper than we could buy the spices and mix our own.  So MrSlick you may call the place in Austin and see if they may be willing to sell you the seasonings.

Good idea on calling them.  They are willing to sell the seasoning and for a really good price but the shipping charge puts it into the not reasonable realm.  I'll have to wait for one of my coworkers to make a trip down there and see if they can pick some up for me.
Thanks,
Rick

RexLan

AC Leggs smoked Kielbasa mix #106 is hard to beat and I don't mess with making my own anymore.   Seattle Spice has everything you can ever need on the left side of the world and there are hundreds of recipes for roll-your-own out there.  I don't make much from scratch anymore.  I start with the good mix and then tweak it to suite my preference.

You will also find that adding 2-3 Tbs of NFPM/lb of meat  (powdered milk mix in dry) will significantly change the texture and make the sausage nice and moist.

If you are going to experiment do it in 2# batches ... NOT 25#!

pikeman_95

I would say for a first try you did very well. Looks nice and moist. I would agree with the 50/50 ratio.
KC