Christmas Rib Roast

Started by OldHickory, December 26, 2014, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

We usually do a Standing Rib Roast for Christmas dinner.  Our two daughters were with their in-laws, so Ms. Hickory and I had the day to ourselves.  Ms. Hickory prepared the table.

I prepped a 6.5# choice two rib standing rib roast, cut it in half and vac-packed one half to freeze for later.  Rubbed with OO, GS, BP, OP, and GP.

Then it was into the Bradley with PID set @ 195* and Hickory pucks for smoke.  About 4 hrs. later I pulled it @ IT of 127*.  Time to FTC until we were ready to eat.

About two hrs. later and after a couple of cocktails,  the IT had coasted up to 131* IT .  Ms. Hickory had the sides ready so it was time to open a 2009 Cabernet Franc, slice the roast and serve.

It was rare and just the way we like it.

The sides were garlic mashed potatoes, green beans topped with chopped green onions, Cesar salad with Ms. Hickory's homemade dressing, and horseradish.  The roast was fork tender and juicy moist.  Later we had our homemade egg-nog ice cream, topped with a splash of Jack Daniels.  It was a wonderful dinner and a non-stressful trouble free evening.  We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. 

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Orion

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

tailfeathers

That looks fabulous![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

dave01

meyer lemon

What a wonderful dinner.  Doing rib roast for New Years...hope mine looks as good as yours.

sdcaller

Quote from: OldHickory on December 26, 2014, 03:18:48 PM
We usually do a Standing Rib Roast for Christmas dinner.  Our two daughters were with their in-laws, so Ms. Hickory and I had the day to ourselves.  Ms. Hickory prepared the table.

I prepped a 6.5# choice two rib standing rib roast, cut it in half and vac-packed one half to freeze for later.  Rubbed with OO, GS, BP, OP, and GP.

Then it was into the Bradley with PID set @ 195* and Hickory pucks for smoke.  About 4 hrs. later I pulled it @ IT of 127*.  Time to FTC until we were ready to eat.

About two hrs. later and after a couple of cocktails,  the IT had coasted up to 131* IT .  Ms. Hickory had the sides ready so it was time to open a 2009 Cabernet Franc, slice the roast and serve.

It was rare and just the way we like it.

The sides were garlic mashed potatoes, green beans topped with chopped green onions, Cesar salad with Ms. Hickory's homemade dressing, and horseradish.  The roast was fork tender and juicy moist.  Later we had our homemade egg-nog ice cream, topped with a splash of Jack Daniels.  It was a wonderful dinner and a non-stressful trouble free evening.  We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Hey Old Hickory

Greetings and Happy New Year from Horseshoe Valley, Ontario (80 miles North of Toronto)

When I saw the picture of your table, I did a  real double take.

Believe it or not, we have the same table cloth and plates.

We didn't use the table cloth on Christmas day, but the plates were in use for our Cornish hens which I did in the oven rather than the smoker. Too cold and windy to smoke.

By the way, my wife thinks your avatar is really neat. We love yellow labs, but don't have one as we are out so much for old time dances as she is a fiddler and I'm a square dance caller.

All the best for 2015.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

OldHickory

sdcaller,
My wife started that plate collection over 35 years ago, and we have had Christmas dinner on them ever since.  They have served us well, and we do enjoy them.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Ka Honu

Looks excellent except that the slices seem kinda thin.

OldHickory

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 27, 2014, 02:57:11 PM
Looks excellent except that the slices seem kinda thin.

I used the Chef's Choice slicer, and that was max thickness,  ;) still was very good, yes..... could have been better a little thicker.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

beefmann