• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Shoot or cut jerky

Started by Patience, November 03, 2006, 04:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patience

What are the experiences with the two types of jerky?  Before my BS I did the jerky cannon with the ground meat etc. etc. and of course used the indoor oven.  But now, I am wondering what would yield better results in a smoker.  With ground meat you have the advantage of mixing in a cold steal mixer with the spices getting very consistent pieces no matter how thick you shoot 'em.  Plus, they are never too chewy unless you go overboard in the oven.  I have never done the traditional cut type, but want to.  Knowing what makes it to the burger pile, the cut pieces would have much less fat than that ground variety, is this an advantage?

With a top round roast, cut with grain for long pieces?  or against for shorter pieces?  Or diagonal for the best of both worlds.  I have heard with against grain, even if you trip and overcook, they are not as bad to bite and chew because the grain is already broke up.

Should I hang the cannon up?

Thanks!
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

robs

Quote from: Patience on November 03, 2006, 04:25:27 AM
What are the experiences with the two types of jerky?  Before my BS I did the jerky cannon with the ground meat etc. etc. and of course used the indoor oven.  But now, I am wondering what would yield better results in a smoker.  With ground meat you have the advantage of mixing in a cold steal mixer with the spices getting very consistent pieces no matter how thick you shoot 'em.  Plus, they are never too chewy unless you go overboard in the oven.  I have never done the traditional cut type, but want to.  Knowing what makes it to the burger pile, the cut pieces would have much less fat than that ground variety, is this an advantage?

With a top round roast, cut with grain for long pieces?  or against for shorter pieces?  Or diagonal for the best of both worlds.  I have heard with against grain, even if you trip and overcook, they are not as bad to bite and chew because the grain is already broke up.

Should I hang the cannon up?

Thanks!

I say both types (chopped and formed & whole muscle) work equaly well.

Some people preffer whole muscle cut with the grain, some against. Traditionaly, it is cut with the grain. Whole muscle jerky is also called strip jerky - cut with the grain, you can pull strips off if it's too hard to chew.

I prefer to make jerky out of top round roast - 1/4 strips cut with the grain.

I also make pepper sticks or pepperoni sticks (in casings). There are a few other members on here that make these. They are very easy to make and they turn out fantastick.

If you haven't tried the whole muscle type of jerky - try it.

Good luck.

Malc

Quotefantastick
Booooooo... ;D

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

agent provocateur

i got whole muscle jerky in my casings... i wish i could make room for more... but aint got nothing happening down there right now...

robs

winemakers

I here Kirk a'comin!

Quote from: agent provocateur on November 03, 2006, 10:47:36 AM
i got whole muscle jerky in my casings... i wish i could make room for more... but aint got nothing happening down there right now...

Patience

Do you have a post with your pepper stick recipe? 
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

Chez Bubba

Quote from: winemakers on November 03, 2006, 12:35:01 PM
I here Kirk a'comin!

So you were the guy at the Sheraton in Chicago last weekend who kept turning up his TV volume & banging on the wall!! ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?