• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How do you smoke flank steak

Started by icerat4, November 09, 2006, 11:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hi guys i got a free hugh piece of flank steak.Is this like brisket.Whats the easiest way to smoke this meat.Whats the internal temps supposed to be.Any ideas o fourm members.Thanks alot in advance. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

robs

I would slice it for jerky. I don't know what else to do with it.

acords

Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

iceman

Marinade it a few hours in some Italian dressing and sprinkle it with pepper then grill it over high heat until mediun rare.
Let it sit for a spell then slice it very thin across grain and serve.
You could throw some cold smoke to it if you want but be careful. This meat is lean as all get out and you can ruin real easy.
It is great for high heat and fast grilling or like acords said, Fajitas. ;)
Just my thoughts on it. Enjoy.

asa

As Robs suggested, Alton Brown had a recent program where he recommended flank steak for jerky (cutting with the grain). But he didn't go through with the smoking phase, just marinated in a marinade that contained liquid smoke and then dried/dehydrated it.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

iahkaferoaster

Growing up on a working cattle ranch in south Texas, I will tell you how we did it. A simple dry rub of equal parts salt, fresh gralic, and pepper rubbed all over the meat and left to get happy in the frig for at least 4 hours. A BS would work for the smoke to impart the smoke (I favor mesquite for this). It should be finished over coals slowly to crisp the out side and cook some of the fat out.
If I were to try to apply the BS for the entire process, I would cook them like pork ribs (we call these "pig-cicles" here). Hope this helps. For "fajitas" nothing beats cooking over mesquite (coals).
The Mexican workers have a big plow disc about 3 feet wide (or 1 meter for those metrically challenged) with welded legs on it and build a fire underneath the disc. The meat is then cooked on the disc, (sort of FTC'd while the tripas and chicharrones are cooked). They the chow down when the beans are up to temp and the cerveza is cold (if not consumed already by this point).
I hunt, therefore I eat.