• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke Generator Problems

Started by green1320, December 20, 2006, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green1320

I have one of the original stainless smokers. When I first bought the unit 2.5 years ago the Smoke generator quite advancing the wood pucks and I returned it to the place of purchace and they replaced it. Now once again the generator has quite advancing chips again. The motor in the unit runs but it will not advance chips every 20 min like it should. I have watched it and it is advancing chips sometimes every 40 min or not at all. I was wondering what I can do to fix this problem and wondering why I am having so many problems with the unit? I should think that for the price these units should last a little longer that 2 yrs. The unit has only been used approx 10 times since the generator has been replaced. Any advice would be appritiated in helping me corect this problem. Thanks Steve

manxman

Sounds like the timer may be faulty, however if it cycles occasionally every 40 minutes for example (i.e 2x20 minutes) it could be a mechanical issue causing missed cycles. I had a faulty generator that had the arms that connect the motor to the puck advance mechanism out of alignment so it advanced fine for a few cycles, missed some then worked ok at other times, Bradley replaced it under warranty.

Also check there is no build up of sawdust anywhere, also when they are not used regularly some parts do seem to lock up on occasions. Is it stored in a dry place?

A call to Bradley tech support may well be called for, see this post where they appeared to help someone even though the smoker was out of warranty.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4488.0

The smoke generator does seem to be the part that causes most problems on the original BS, typically it is the advance motor that packs up completely but quite a few people do seem to have similar problems to you as well, when I first bought my SSBS I had both problems and am now on my third smoke generator that seems to be working fine touch wood!!
Manxman

Smudge

Well, let me respond to the two and a half years and no more than ten smokes.

I think it's reasonable to say you're an infrequent user. If someone like you smoked an item, perhaps with not too much thought about venting, then stored the smoker, mechanical  problems could arise.   

green1320

Called Bradley today!! They were wonderful people and helped me fix this problem.. Thank you for all your feedback. I can't say enough for a company that truly stands behind their product.

TomG

Hi Green, Soooo what was the problem? ;)

manxman

QuoteThey were wonderful people and helped me fix this problem..

Yeah, it would help everyone if you could post what the cause was and how it was resolved.  ;)
Manxman

iceman