Need help with Rock Hens

Started by rdperry, June 24, 2007, 09:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdperry

Can someone give me some input on smoking 4 Rock Hens for a dinner party next month.
Rub or no Rub, how many hours at what temp? Using the standard Bradley Smoker.
Any suggestions on side dishes?
Thanks. ???

kiyotei

not sure what a "rock" hen is but if its like chicken I would recommend that you brine it first.  If you brine and rub, make sure you adjust the salt in the rub so that the hen does not turn out too salty.

West Coast Kansan

I would do them like a chicken but they are small so i dont think they will pick up as much smoke flavor through the center.  They can be greasy little birds so i am thinking you will loose flavor ... with the skin ... thinking the skin will be hard to save. All this is speculation since I have not done them on a BS.   ???

I do think I would split them so they will lay flat on the racks and pick up smoke flavor.  1.6 hours of light smoke like pecan, apple, would be enough for me.

Dont know about time... 160 breast temp would work for me.

Blast them real hot and fast on the grill to finish...

Vent way open. Rub, sure why not good mentally if nothing else. A nice basting with Iceman sauce gives chicken (skin on or off) a nice color.  I have started using it as a skin subsitute and stopped messing with the skin. It will burn with high grill temp so put it on last after skin side has already been down on the grill.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)