Carolina BBQ

Started by ohioan, June 25, 2007, 05:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohioan

Has anyone tried a Carolina style vinger base mop sauce on thier ribs or pork shoulders?

Fire It Up
Ohioan
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

SKSmoker

I have, and I am not a fan of that style of sauce at all. I am a sweet and sticky bbq sauce guy, and that is what I do. It is all a matter of personal preference and I am sure there are people here that have and would be willing to share their secret recipe!
Lead by example

Scotty-G

I make some every time I cook up some shoulder.  There are several people who feel passionate about how they eat their pulled pork.
I like it with Carolina sauce but sometimes I like it sticky and sweet.  I typically have both options available.

When I make a shoulder in the smoker I use a dry rub and after pulling have the sauce in a squirt bottle on the side.
When I make shoulder in a crock pot (yes, it does turn out good - especially when it's raining and you are craving pulled pork and there is none left in the freezer) I do a variant of the sauce and slow cook it - turns out pretty good too - just no smoke flavor because I don't use liquid smoke.
Hope this helps.

begolf25

Carolina Style is all I use on my pulled pork. But as Scotty-G stated I always have some BBQ sauce ready just incase someone else likes theirs that way.

I have never tried a Carolina style sauce on my ribs. I have only ever used Iceman's sauce or Sweet Baby Rays.

But experimenting and finding out what you like is what makes this so much fun.

Bryan

CLAREGO

yeah carolina is great but there are picky people out there. i take a mixture of applecider vinegar and some apple juice and mix it with some bbqsauce thtas my fav. i then give the option with plan old bbg sauce and a white bbq sauce thats my pulled pork options take or leave it.

HCT

Sure have and both are great, depends on what you're hankering for.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

ohioan

What I like to do is use mop sauce that is applied throughout the cooking process. Basicly a viniger, beer and spice mixture with some citrus added...Its a great tenderizer and adds a little zipppp to the ribs or pork....My sauce is a combo sauce heat and sweet..MMMMMMmmmmm... I'm growling...I lived just south of lexington NC for about 123 years ...that's where I learned to smoke...Big ole oil drum cookers and offsets...They know there BBQ there and it took me a while but I have it all under control now.
FIRE IT UP!!!
Ohioan

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree, the vinegar based sauces are good. Besides the vaunted sauce, the Carolina's also will add mustard or ketchup to the vinegar base. All varieties are good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kuffs

White bbq sauce??,how do I make that??

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: kuffs on July 06, 2007, 05:41:06 PM
White bbq sauce??,how do I make that??

Generally white sauce is considered Alabama style sauce, and mostly used with chicken, but what goes with pork can generally be used with chicken. The most famous is called Bob Gibson's White Sauce. You can get the recipe by clicking on this link:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2911.0

There have not been many recipes published by Cook's Country that I did not like. Cook's Country just published this version of white sauce. I haven't tried it, but it looks good and I may be trying it either Sunday or Monday on either grilled or smoked chicken.

White BBQ Sauce
3/4   cup mayonnaise 
2   tablespoons cider vinegar 
2   teaspoons sugar 
1/2   teaspoon prepared horseradish 
1/2   teaspoon table salt 
1/2   teaspoon ground black pepper 
1/4   teaspoon cayenne pepper 

1. For the sauce: Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Refrigerate sauce in airtight container for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.

2. If using it for chicken, after chicken is fully cooked, transfer chickens to cutting board, brush with 2 tablespoons sauce, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes. Remove foil and brush chicken with 1 tablespoon sauce. Carve and serve, passing remaining sauce at table.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

I use all kinds of sauce incl ice sauce  ;D

nepas

goalieboy29

+1 for Carolina. Try making the Vaunted Vinegar Sauce. Sounds strange but it works!

From Big Smoker;

What is vaunted Vinegar ?

It's a sauce from Smoke & Spice.  In case you don't have this book I'll include the recipe for ya .

2 cups cider or white vinegar(I would use cider)
2 tablespoons sugar or packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt(non-iodized for me)
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar.  Serve at room temperature or chilled.  The sauce keeps indefinitely.
It's the wood that makes it good.

Habanero Smoker

If you can find it in your area substitute Nakano Rice Vinegar (or the original, or red pepper flavored) for the cider vinegar. It will give it a sweeter taste. You may want to adjust the amount of sugar you use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.