Bob Gibson's Original "WHITE SAUCE"

Started by ChefBill, March 17, 2006, 01:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

This is Big Bob Gibson's "WHITE SAUCE" for Chicken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being born & Raised in Decatur, AL; Gibson's BBQ is Old Hat to me. I was eating his BBQ in the late 40's and my Mother had his recipe for the ORIGINAL "White Sauce" when I was just a kid.
In the 40's his BBQ stand was nothing more than a big screened room with about 4 tables and a BBQ pit + a couple of old residential refrigerators and a table with a sink to work on. <font color="blue"><i>Man, today the health departments would lock him under the jail..Hell, nobody ever got sick from eating it[:p]</i></font id="blue">
I got the recipe straight from my Mother after I got married.

<b><font color="red">GIBSON's "WHITE BBQ SAUCE"</font id="red">
Original INGREDIENTS:</b> Straight from the man himself over 60 years ago
1/2 gal. salad dressing (Known as MAYONNAISE today)
1/2 gal. White cider vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 Cup Black Pepper
1-1/2 Tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

<b>Cut by 1/8th to save you <i>math challenged</i> people some work</b>
1 Cup MAYONNAISE
1 Cup WHITE CIDER VINEGAR
1 Tablespoon LEMON JUICE
1-1/2 Tablespoons BLACK PEPPER
1/2 teaspoon SALT
1/4 teaspoon CAYENNE PEPPER

PREPARATION:
Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (preferably over night) before using. Dip the chicken halves when they come off the grill and are still hot. This White Sauce is a great dipping sauce so, keep some on the table while pigging out or should I say "Chickening out".
<font color="blue"><i>This sauce has a real Vinegar Twang to it.</i></font id="blue">

NOTE: The commercial verson is made with a lot of other ingredients to make it keep at room temp; give it the same basic taste and consistancy + pass all the FDA rules.

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

BigSmoker

I have sold quite a bit of the packaged stuff but I bet it isn't the same as the original for sure.  I like it myself and this recipe is a touch different then others I've seen.  Nice to see the original.  I will copy it down[:D].  Thanks ChefBill.  My wife and I came up with a variation that I like even better.  If you haven't tried the white sauce you should give it a chance for sure.

BigSmokers knock off recipe:

1C (Duke's) Mayo
1/2C apple cider vinager
1tsp table salt
1tsp black pepper
1tsp white sugar
1/8-1/2 cayenne pepper
1Tbsp preparred horseradish (Boar's Head)
2Tbsp Apple schnapps

Whisk all ingredients together in non reactive container and refrigerate for 1hr before serving(whisk again) Use as a dippin' sauce.  

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

ChefBill

Jeff,
I noticed the sugar & schnapps with less vinegar would take some of the bite off the vinegar. Like I said the Original has a real bite to it.  The Original version is a lot thinner than the commercial version too.
I'll have to give your version a try, Can I drink the rest of the Schnapps??[;)] Bill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.

BigSmoker

you may certainly drink the schnapps[:D][:D][:D].  Matter of fact I recommend it[;)].  Yes my recipe doesn't have the same vinegar bite as that original recipe for sure.  I have another recipe that is almost the same as the original you posted that has that "tang" of the vinegar which I really like too but the family says its to much[V] hence the development of the recipe I posted.  It can also be made with rice wine vinegar that gives it a nice flavor as well.  Thanks again for the original[:D][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

iceman

Thanks there ChefBill; Zing Zap and Zow. You've got a great recipe. Was a hit up here to say the least. We're going to try Jeffs recipe next just to see the differance. Again thanks guys.[:D]

Habanero Smoker

Well! I keep looking at these recipes, now I think I'm going to have to give the original recipe a try, but I'm taking BigSmoker's suggestion and use the rice vinegar. Only I am going to use a particular brand that is mellow and sweet. I use Nakano brand rice vinegar, and for this recipe I will use their natural flavored vinegar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

I had a chance to try the White Sauce today, and it was so good that I bit my tongue while eating. As mentioned above I used Nakano rice vinegar, the Natural flavor. The sauce came out real good.

If you are not familiar with Nakano rice vinegars you need to check it out. They come in about six different seasonings, and have a mild sweet taste to it. It's so mild that often I use it straight out of the bottle for salad dressing, and it tastes good sprinkled on french fries and most all foods. It cost about $3.00 for a 15 ounce bottle, but it is worth it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ChefBill

Habanero Smoker,
Glad you liked it. Now I got to find some of that Nakano rice vinegar. I'll check my good food markets for it.  ChefBill

Habanero Smoker

Not all stores carry it. Go to the Nakano web site they have a store locator. Just move your mouse over the state you live in and a list of store names pop up.

http://www.nakanovinegar.com/pages/store.shtml

PS
They make about 8 varieties of seasoned rice vinegar. I used the Natural flavor for this recipe. There is a flavor called Original, but that is a seasoned vinegar, it's not plain. I think I've tried all the flavors, and have not been disappointed with any of then. I use the Red Pepper vinegar for my vaunted vinegar that I add to pulled pork, but I need to cut down on the sugar, due to the sweetness of the vinegar. I haven't done this yet, but this vinegar is so mild that I am going to try using one of their flavored vinegars as a substitute (or half/half mixture) for apple juice the next time I FTC a brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ChefBill

Brunos & WallyWorld both are supposed to carry it. Got both of them close by. Funny thing about WallyWorld is, one store will carry one brand and another one 3 miles away won't and the manager will say they can't get that brand.  ???

ChefBill

Habanero,
I found the "NAKANO" vinegar today, I got the original version because the only other version they had was the Italian seasons and I figured that wouldn't go with BBQ.   WOW  ::) You're right, it's mild.

Habanero Smoker

After using it, let me know how you like it, or if you think my taste buds are gone bad ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.