• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bone-in Prime Rib

Started by manderso, August 21, 2007, 08:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manderso

I finally worked up the courage to fire an expensive cut of beef into the smoker last weekend.  It was a 5 lb. bone in prime rib roast.  I rubbed it with Lipton onion soup mix, black pepper, granulated garlic, and some kosher salt.  Let it rest in the fridge for 2 days and then fired it into the OBS after it reached room temp.  Set the OBS to full throttle for the entire cook (~250F/3.5 hrs).  7 bisquettes of hickory smoke.  Pulled it out when the IT reached 130F.  FTC'd for 3 hrs.  WOW!!!!!!!  It was awesome.  Medium rare and juicy.  I've got to start taking some pictures to share my success with all of you that helped me make such a treat!  My family's favorite question is now "What are we smoking this weekend?"  Funny how it has become "we", and I'm doing all the work.  But, then again, somebody has got to knock back a couple of cold ones when they are absolutely slaving over the smoker for so many hours! ;)

iceman

Sounds like you went at it with full throttle and pulled out all the stops. Good job manderso. Ya gotta love it when it turns out great on the first shot. Get those pictures coming and keep on smoking. ;D

Wildcat

Quote from: iceman on August 21, 2007, 08:40:45 AM
Sounds like you went at it with full throttle and pulled out all the stops. Good job manderso. Ya gotta love it when it turns out great on the first shot. Get those pictures coming and keep on smoking. ;D

I second that.  I LOVE prime rib.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

That recipe is pretty good.  Did you do anything to develop a crust (like first searing at high heat or finishing on grill)?

Looking forward to pix.
Consiglieri

manderso

Nope, somebody posted that if you keep the OBS at as high a temperature it can go, it will have the effect of creating a crust on the outside and still accomplish the slow cook at the same time.  I must admit, that there really wasn't much of a "crust", but it was still good!  I gnawed on the bones for quite a while.  It was worth the mess. ;D

smokin stu

In the heat of the moment, when the smoked goodness is ready, its difficult to remember the camera!!!

owrstrich

manderso...

you better hope your arse is in norwood ma...

because if you were in cali and didnt invite me i would have to rebel...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

gDub

I gotta stupid question. I have not yet done the Foil,Towel, Cooler thing yet and wanted to know, after 3hrs, Is the meat still warm enough to eat, or does it need to be re-heated.
E-Shay...Better Then The Next!

Wildcat

Depends on how much meat and how well you insulate it.  Generally, it is usually almost too hot to handle with bare hands even after 4 hours.

iceman

Like Wild Cat said it depends on the amount of meat and how well it's insulated. I've had 20 pounds of pork butt in a really good cooler FTC for over 4 hours and it was still steaming hot when I went to pull it at the picnic. Less mass and you're not going to stay warm as long. To many variables to give a firm "Per Pound" time frame. :)

Stickbowcrafter

Congrats! Next time don't forget the camera!

-Brian

rscearcy

Manderso, I've grilled several prime rib roasts and they've turned out great.  Now, I have to try one on the smoker.  Of course, I could tell better if we had pictures!  ;D

A question, though, to the oldtimers here (or a newbie like me who may know).  I like to put mine on a gas grill first for quick sear to make a crust, then transfer it to a grill set up for indirect heat for the grilling.  With smoking, wouldn't the crust interfere with smoke penetration?  If it would, how about tossing it on a gas grill for searing after it's through smoking?  Would that work?  Has anybody tried that or is it even necessary?  I only do the searing to help retain juices.  With a smoker, that might not be necessary.

When I get my prime rib roasts, I always ask the butcher to cut the bones from the roast (with plenty of meat attached to the bones) and then retie for cooking. 
If you are able to keep your head when all around you are losing theirs...maybe they know something you don't.

Wildcat

Have not done prime rib in the BS yet, but plan to real soon.  My guess would be that it would retain juices with just the BS.  Since there is a doubt, you may want to simply cold smoke it for a couple of hours, wrap and refridgerate overnite, then grill the next day.  It appears that Manderso's turned out good.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Consiglieri

I did a prime rib last December.  The post drew some good discussion about p-rib cooking techniques.  Thought I had pix, but I guess I didn't upload.  If I can find them on the home computer, I'll post.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4454.0
Consiglieri