Prime Rib recipe and cooking suggestions?

Started by Consiglieri, December 12, 2006, 09:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

We have some people coming over Saturday and we'll be cooking a prime rib.  Back in July there was a pretty good thread about prime rib cooking and I've seen other threads discussing recipes, but I have some questions. 

As for recipes, I've seen the Lipton's onion soup mix idea, but do you doctor it up with rosemary, pepper and garlic too?  Any other recipe suggestions?

I'm trying to develop a cooking strategory.  will bring the roast up to room temp., and plan on applying smoke for 1.5 hours.  I'm concerned that the BS won't get up to a high enough temp for this cut of meat.  Thinking about 30 minutes on the grill at higher heat, then the smoke period, then finish off on grill until it reaches 130-135 internal temperature. 

FTC: 1 to 2 hours, then dinner.
Consiglieri

owrstrich

consiglieri... looking at what you are typing im thinking smoke for the innerds then onto the grill to finish off the outerds...

my opinion... dont worry... 4 hrs smoke... slider all way hot... pull at 130 and grill a few minutes... you can not... you can not...  you can not...  screw it up...

i posted something like this a few months ago...

i have done the rib roast a few times... select... choice... prime...

chezz is right on about the lipton onion soup mix and not overcooking...

dont let the roast touch the sides of the bs... make sure it will fit on a rack... you want it to go wall to wall but not touch... if too wide you must trim to fit...

my best effort was this...

sliced between the bones and the roast... rubbed lipton onion soup mix into the cut and rolled the roast and in lipton onion soup mix with black pepper and garlic powder added... tied the bones to the roast... tied it all up in a plastic supermarket bag in fridge for 2 days...

let roast come to room temp... out of fridge for at least 2 or 3 hours... fired up puck burner and heat element... slider all way hot... pre heated to 300 deg or as hot as it would go... vent closed...

now let me say right now... low and slow... low and slow... except the rib roast needs hot and fast... hot and fast... hot and fast...

slide a puck on the burner and slide in the beast... bottom shelf... rib bones down... do it fast... dont lose the heat... anyway... the temp will fall... vent 1/3 open... temp will continue fall then rise as the roast absorbs heat...

4 hours of smoke... i use hickory or oak... or until internal hits 135 internal on select and choice or 130 on prime... everytime i have done rib roast it has been a 4 to 5 hour cook... so it goes very quick...

the reason i switched from low and slow on the rib roast to hot and fast is because low and slow rendered great innerds but the outerds were not great...

hot and fast... renders me great innerds and better outerds...

now about ftc... wrap that beast and ftc between 2 to 6 hours... i almost always ftc for 4 to 8 hours anymore... why the long ftc... because that ftc really freaks me out...

if finishing on the grill... i have never done this because i dont have a grill anymore... im thinking pull it at 130 then directly on very hot grill for a few minutes and then let it rest for a few minutes under foil tent and serve...

i would not ftc a grilled ribb because it may screw up the outerds... and the reason you grill it in the 1st place is for grilled outerds...

cut off the bones... cut roast into equal sized slabs...

guess what... you gotts the best ribbs and the best roast ever...

i mix up some horseraddish and some sour cream and serve on the side...

you gotts to eat the beast...

owrstrich

on the same threasd.. big said to do this when using the grill... big knows...

My 2 pennies would be to cold smoke this guy for 2-3 hours using hickory or oak.  then transfer directly to a grill that is running at 5-600f.  sear all sides.  Remove the roast from the heat until the grill is at appx 350-375f.  Return to grill and cook until center is 130f.  Let roast rest for 15 minutes under foil tent.  slice and serve.  If I had the time I would cold smoke then wrap in plastic wrap and in the fridge for 1-2 days then grill as describes as above.  Keep the seasonings simple S&P garlic and maybe a touch of rosemary.

you gotta read this one too...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3400.0
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Consiglieri

Thanks Owrstrich.  I read that earlier post and still had a few questions.

Wife likes milder smoke flavor and I'm concerned that 4 hours may be more hickory/oak than she wants.  Are you smoking during the entire 4 hours? Do you get a nice crust using just the BS heat?

FTC:  I'm confused.  You mentioned FTC for 4-8 hours at one point, but said at another that you wouldn't FTC a Prib.  Are you suggesting FTC for a low and low prib, but not one BSed for 4 hours and finished on the grill?

You guys are a great resource and I appreciate the help.
Consiglieri

owrstrich

it is my opinion that the prime ribb does not absorb smoke like other cuts... i dont think 4hrs of smoke on the prime ribb is a very strong smoke flavor... some may disagree and yourn wench maybe one of them... i dont think so though... if you have a small prime ribb it maynot even take 4hrs to get to 130 internal...

you get sh1t crust with the bs unless its hot and fast... then its just acceptable... it aint great... but it aint rubber...

i was saying when i do the prime ribb in the bs... i ftc because the crust isnt gonna be great anyway... i dont have a grill anymore so its bs and ftc for me...

if i were going to bs 1st then grill 2nd... i would not ftc because the ftc can make the grilled crust less desireable...

either way... i think the prime ribb should go off hot and fast in the bs... and of course the grill is an option to finish it off for better crust...

owrstrich

Consiglieri

Thanks again-- the wife is pregnant (and therefore dangerous), so don't want to push the envelope too far.  

I think I'll plan for 4 hours BS as hot as possible (or to IT of 130) , 1.5 - 2 hours of smoke, and finish w/ high heat on the grill.  Wrap and rest, then carve and scarf.  Can't wait.

Will check out that link.
Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Well, the P Rib is cooking now.  As suggested, started up with two envelopes of Lipton Onion soup mix, dumped in the food processor with fresh rosemary, garlic, a bit of evoo, and a bunch of fresh ground pepper.  After two days in the rub the fridge smelled great.  I couldn't get the whole 7 ribs on one rack so cut it into two roasts.

I preheated the BS as hot as I could get it, but with ambient temps, once the meat was added, heat hasn't been above 240.  But now, after a couple of hours, its really startin to smell good, and just swapped rack positions.  I think its time to put on the Charlie Brown Christmas CD, head to the other rectangular applicance and pull out a cold refreshing beverage while I start pretending to look busy whisking around in pans.

Thanks for the tips. 
Consiglieri

owrstrich

im stranded in bakersfield...

and you got the ribb in the smoker...

jack in the box is all i got...

i need a photo to smell...

dang im growling now...

Consiglieri

O:

I am about 2.5 hours North of you, and if I knew you were local, I would have suggested stopping by for the heck of it, a beverage, and some beast.  The Rib turned out awwwwwwsum.  7 ribs, and I'll be lucky to have some leftovers, if I start hitting people with the wooden spoon. 

2.4 hours smoke, about 5 on the BS (it was colder here) to 130, seared on a high heat grill to get some marks and char, then 400 until IT 135.  I FTC'ed for two hours and am questioning my judgment.  The meat rocked, but I wish I would have preserved that crust. 

If I can figure out how to post some pics, I will.
Consiglieri

owrstrich

where you at... merced... turdlock...

i went to hodels...

they speak english there...

that is the best food in bakersfield...

that i know of...

Consiglieri

Turlock,CA.  Fast food and chain restaurants near the highway, but some decent choices further into town. What are you doing in B-field?
Consiglieri

owrstrich

im here for work...

we have 2 jobs in turdlock...

1 is at cargill which is w of that dairy on main at the 99...

1 is at purina which is at f and golden state...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

Consiglieri

Gotta love that dairy smell (until recently they used to call that the "smell of money"). 
Consiglieri

owrstrich

10-4...

once we get up that way we will be in the turdlock... medesto... lathrop... stockton... tracey... area for a few weeks...

owrstrich

owrstrich

if you got a photo of a breaded tenderloin post it here...

holly... wck... g... o...