Whatcha Doin' For Labor Day???

Started by Oldman, August 31, 2007, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

Grilled up a whole bunch of chicken kabobs yesterday.  And still have a few for today.  Good stuff, Maynard.

Have to admit that Angus/corn combo sounds pretty good.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Habs...love to hear how the cuban bread came out...mine was a little more "cakey"  last time then I like. (Or is authentic anyway).

Habanero Smoker

The weather was good for baking. The bread came out great. I use this recipe
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=82#post82

You can slit the bread, but the shoe string method works a lot better (though at times a little tricky). I believe the "science" behind it is, when you slit the bread prior to baking the steam escapes, and you don't get bread as moist. If you don't slit it, a lot of the steam is trapped in the bread. At the end of baking you remove the shoe string, which breaks the crust allowing the steam to escape at the end of the baking process, and ensuring that the bread is moist, and the crust remains crisp.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokin stu

I did up some chicken breast, ham, provolone rolls on Saturady night for the first time.  They were delicious (and wrapped in BACON).

Last night was a pile of ribs and some Atomic Buffalo Turds.  Never did ABT's before either.  I planted a Jalepeno pepper plant this spring, and picked 18 nice size peppers off the plant in the morning.  I wore rubber gloves prepping it as I had not done this with the first pepper picked last week and dear me, you can burn up pretty good when you scratch your eye.....  will NEVER do that again.

The ABT were a hit, I am sure partly because they were wrapped in BACON!

All in all a very good smokin' weekend.

Wildcat

Got a break from the rain here today so I did the Turkey Breast in the BS.  Finished about a half hour before the rain returned.  Talk about timing!  This was my first Turkey in the BS.  Simply rubbed with Olive oil, salt, pepper, 6 Alder pucks and 2 Apple, put 3 strips of bacon on top.  Absolutely perfect.  Even better than the baked, fried, and smoked birds on my side firebox unit of the past.  IMHO there is no other way to do Turkey.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Carter

I did Pulled Pork for our annual Labour Day classic at the cottage.  Turned out great using Renowned Mr. Brown, with 4 hours of Hickory smoke, followed up by mixing in Carolina Red.  I feel like I'm finally nailing this thing down.

Carter

La Quinta

We did chicken thighs and potato skins...finished the thighs on the grill for the "skin thing". fabulous! Stuffed the skins with smoked chedder (I had to buy it) scallions and sour cream!! SWEET!!! Football game not going so well....but just half time!! :) MORE BEER!

Gizmo

Quote from: Wildcat on September 01, 2007, 12:38:18 PM
 This will be first time in the BS with Turkey.  Any recommendations?  Thinking about just cold smoking for a couple hours and then let her finish it in the slow roaster or the oven like normal.

Wildcat, glad to hear your bird came out great.
For a variation, next time try a smoked drambui turkey.  Drambui, maple syrup and butter injected into the bird.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: Gizmo on September 03, 2007, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on September 01, 2007, 12:38:18 PM
 This will be first time in the BS with Turkey.  Any recommendations?  Thinking about just cold smoking for a couple hours and then let her finish it in the slow roaster or the oven like normal.

Wildcat, glad to hear your bird came out great.
For a variation, next time try a smoked drambui turkey.  Drambui, maple syrup and butter injected into the bird.

May do that at Thanksgiving if I stay in town this year.  Thanks Giz, that sounds goooooooood!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!

I didn't get a chance to do anything with the Bradley but fired up the grill and made some bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers and grilled some NY strips for steak tacos.

Also went to the Annual Chili cook-off they have here in town every year. I think I sampled about 50 different   kinds of chili  :-X

Artmiester

Smoked two 4# boneless butts and an even deck of ABTs (pork filled) Fri. night for the family. FTC'd the butts Sat. morning and drove one of them up to my buddies that afternoon to start prepping Shrimp and lobster filled ABTs for Sundays blowout. We had it all, pulled pork, fried gator tale, sausage, buffalo steaks, ABTs, lil' smokies wrapped in BACON. WOW! Soaked in his new spa with a very large pitcher of Sangria Sat. night to take the kinks out from all that prep work while the Bradley did it's magic,YEAH. Life is good! Great weekend with good friends. ;D ;D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."