• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

new smoker

Started by BlindWizard, January 27, 2008, 08:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlindWizard

druelin' over the BSS 6-rack and not sure what to do. What would you do? Since im new to this smoking stuff i want it to be as easy as possible,  also interested in that cool little PID.  What does PID stand for?

Arcs_n_Sparks

BlindWizard,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: BlindWizard on January 27, 2008, 08:57:50 AM
What does PID stand for?

Stands for Porter Indicating Device; helps you find your beer.

Actually: Proportional, Integral, Derivative controller. It is a type of process controller that maintains a fairly tight control over a parameter (in this case, temperature).

Arcs_n_Sparks

BlindWizard

Arcs_n_Sparks thank you very much for the welcome and the answer to my question. I cant wait to get my new smoker.  ;D

bigredsmoker

Welcome BlindWizard!  I got my 4 rack DBS in December and love it. I have been smoking pretty heavily, and have not, as of yet, wished I had go the 6 rack. I did buy another set of the non-stick couated racks and have used all eight of them in the double configuration to get mor capacity for cheese. Other than that, the 4 rack has been fine. Either way you'll love it!

Terry

La Quinta

Welcome BlindWizard...you'll have fun here!!! :)

HCT

Welcome Wiz, I have the 4 rack and love it. I have a hard time filling 4 racks, forgetabout 6. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Ontrack

I agree with HCT, BlindWiz. I have never had all 4 racks full at time, and usually not half of that. The closest I come is with cheese, and 25 lbs won't fill it up. Only 2 people at this house, and a couple of racks full of anything will make several great meals. I tend to like the leftovers better than fresh off the smoker, so I make sure I have enough.

Gizmo

Welcome BWiz,
I will disagree with my friends slightly to say I have a 6 rack and wouldn't look back.  I have had it filled to capacity on several occasions.  Vegetables and meat for chili is one, and JERKY is another.  I have purchased an additional set of racks so I can have 12 racks total.  I am going to be investigating some non-stick jerky screens as well and hope that one of the ridged types will allow me to have a total of 18 racks of jerky meat smoking at one time.

PS:  Don't let Agent Provacator know as he will sneak in through a worm hole and snake the jerky right off the rack.   :o
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

Got me, Gizmo. I completely forgot about the jerky. Tough Monday. I've only "jerkeyed" twice on the Bradley, but did fill all 4 racks, and could have used another. :-[

Mr Walleye

Gizmo

Here's a link to a picture of how I get 12 racks in my 4 rack unit for jerky.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6130.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

I have always admired that picture.  I can see 5 possible open spots for you though.  The 6 rack is a little taller than the 4 rack but the shelf spacing is closer together.

If you got the rigid non-stick, you could sandwich a layer between the two shelves (between the normal position and the upside down position), plus on on the very top.  I am wondering how well the BS will hold the load.  I don't finish mine in the smoker so concentrated smoking is my main objective.  It would be nice to have the box in a good heat range so the little critters don't take up residence.  That shouldn't be an issue as the meat has a cure on it as well.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Gizmo on January 28, 2008, 06:14:18 PM
I have always admired that picture.  I can see 5 possible open spots for you though.  The 6 rack is a little taller than the 4 rack but the shelf spacing is closer together.

If you got the rigid non-stick, you could sandwich a layer between the two shelves (between the normal position and the upside down position), plus on on the very top.  I am wondering how well the BS will hold the load.  I don't finish mine in the smoker so concentrated smoking is my main objective.  It would be nice to have the box in a good heat range so the little critters don't take up residence.  That shouldn't be an issue as the meat has a cure on it as well.

I do the same as you. I just apply the smoke in the BS then put the jerky in my Cabelas dehydrator. Even with the 12 racks I use there is a lot of exposed meat giving off a lot of moisture so I do use a cure for that reason. I'd be interested in the rigid non-stick jerky racks, I've never seen them. I do use the Bradley Jerky Screens which work quit well.

Mike

Gizmo

I am waiting for some samples from a company out here.  They should be here this week.  I will do a write up on what I find out as I am hoping to get at least 3 different types of material.  They are rated at different temperatures.  I will also be commenting on the price points to see if they are even something to consider.  It appears these are used mostly by commercial in large quantities so even though the screens may be the best thing out there, we may not be able to afford them.  I haven't been given a price quote yet.  Could be they want me to test, get hooked and then hit me with the price tag after knowing I gotta have them cause they are the best.  We'll see.

Mr Walleye

Excellent Gizmo, I will look forward to your post.

Mike

PS
BlindWizard

Welcome to the forum and sorry for hijacking your post!  ;)

As you can see you won't go wrong with either the 6 or 4 rack. Just pick what best suits you.

Mike

La Quinta

Giz and Walleye...you guys are a trip...you must be distant cousins....you two are amazing at the technical stuff...very informative, I might add, but somewhat above my pea little  head!! Arcs could probably charge in and "spark" an interesting discussion!!! :)