• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PULLED PORK RECIPE!!

Started by STEELIE, March 05, 2008, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEELIE

HELLO! I JUST GOT MY BRADLEY SMOKER AND CAN'T WAIT TO USE IT ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I WANT TO MAKE IS  PULLED PORK OR PORK BBQ. WHAT I WAS LOOKING TO DO IS SMOKE A ROAST AND THEN COOK IT THE REST OF THE WAY IN A CROCK POT. I HAVE NOT SMOKED IN YEARS AND THEN IT WAS ONLY KILBASA AND SALMON. I THINK A BBQ WITH A LITTLE SMOKE FLOVER TO IT WOULD BE GREAT.
    SHOULD I USE A BBQ SAUCE OR RUB FOR SMOKING? ANY RECIPES OR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Tiny Tim

Rub before smoking and cooking, Sauce after.....that's what I do anyway.

Welcome aboard.

Habanero Smoker

Steelie;

Welcome to the forum. There is no reason not to finish in a crock pot or your kitchen oven. As Tiny Tim has already stated, its best to use a rub while you smoke/cook the butt.

Most of us apply 4 hours of smoke. My favorite bisquette for pork is pecan. You should check out the recipe site for rubs.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

Welcome!

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Rub your roast with a mustard slather and your favorite dry rub.
2.  Fruit and nut bisquettes produce a nice compliment to pork.  Hickory too.  Apply smoke for four hours; cook at a box temp of 210 to 220F.  If you pull the meat and finish in a crock pot, splash a little apple juice over the meat into the pot.
3.  If you continue cooking in the Box, after about four hours (a) begin basting the meat with apple juice or your favorite mop; and (b) empty the water bowl and refill with fresh, hot water.
4.  cook meat to an internal temp. of 195.
5.  rest the meat for at least 30 minutes before shredding if crock pot.  Same for box cooked, or try the FTC method (see below).
6.  Shred your meat and and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce or vinegar sauce.

I have adopted Icerat4's pulled pork technique, described in this link: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528.  FTC is the Foil, Towel, Cooler trick for prolonged resting of meat.  Permits you a lot of flexibility time wise when cooking, and allows you to plan a very early finish time (say late morning) and still have hot meat for dinner.  Splash some apple juice or mop sauce on your meat, wrap the meat in foil, wrap that bundle in an OLD beach towel, and place the bundle in a preheated cooler (I heat mine with a kettle of hot water and dump it out just before placing the bundle inside).  I've gone as long as 6 hours using this method and the pulled pork stayed hot.

Good luck!  Try some ribs next!
Consiglieri

Ontrack

As many times as I've done pork, following those instructions pretty much exactly (except for the crock pot), it still makes me drool when I read about it, and I just ate! :P :)

CLAREGO

just done a butt and a half... Heres the story..... Smoked it 4 hours in the bs with hickory oh i applied paprika
and cumin no salt... anyways it was a light rub...after the initial smoke 4 hours under 200 degrees i put it in the crock pot for a good 6 hours(on high) about 4 hours removed the magical breakdown of fat and tissue i put the butts back in with a cup of apple cider vinegar let the rest of the fat render down and at the 6 hour mark i started pulling the butts in the crock pot added bbq sauce almost a hole bottle and a half. keep the crock pot on high and stirred it every half an hour then it was done 11 hours could not beet it.

Ive done butts so many times that i van tell by looking at the meat when its ready too pull im sure i ain't the only one this is just one way ive done it. turned out real good

ftc is good
but sftc is better lol what is sftc it saran then foil then towel then cooler oh the saran wrap is a trick you can wrap the butts in saran wrap then foil and have cook at higher temps this is my best method of cooking butts then of course wrap her in a towel then in cooler

Carter

Nice!!

Haven't heard the crockpot method before.  Sounds great.

Looking forward to trying it, once all the freakin' snow on my deck melts.  Haven't had the smoker out since December.  I've had it with this winter.

I went rummaging through our freezer a couple of days ago looking for just one forgotten morsel of smoked salmon and sadly came up short.

OBS and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Carter

STEELIE

I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY REQUEST. YOU GUYS DON'T MESS AROUND! THE RUB IS ON THE PORK AND ITS IN THE FRIDGE. IT WILL BE IN THE SMOKER IN THE MORNING AND THE CROCKPOT IN THE AFTERNOON. I AM EXCITED JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.
    MY NEXT UNDERTAKING IS BEEF FATTIES. I FOUND A RECIPE FROM NEPA SMOKER THAT LOOKS GREAT!
THANKS AGAIN!
ERIC
STEELIE

West Coast Kansan

Not your mama's meat loaf is a great thread as well.  Good winter time comfort food. Enjoy Steele and keep posting your experiences. I am always looking to steal someone elses ideas.  ;D

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

chen-yip

This is great.  I started rubbing my shoulder yesterday only to find out that my house needs to be fumigated and i have to vacate.  Woke up at 4 this morning, shoveled the snow away from the smoker and now just a few more hours smoking then I'm going to finish off in the oven at my parents (as i will be forced to leaved the premise).  I've never done this method before.  I usually do the whole thing in the smoker.  I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

CLAREGO

chen hit that magical number and you will be right on