Pulled pork as easy as 123

Started by iceman, April 29, 2008, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

I put together a little how to this week to show folks how fun and easy pulled pork can be

Here is 15 pounds of boneless pork butt I picked up at Costco. I just left it in the cryvac until I was ready for it.

Okay all I did was smear CYM "cheap yellow mustard" on it and sprinkle with my favorite rub. Then I covered it and let it sit on the counter to start warming up. In the meantime I went out and started the smoker up. Then stopped and grabbed a cold one on the way back in.

Okay. Into the smoker they went for 4 hours of apple wood this time. The smoker was cruising at 205F.

Here the PID and smoker temps show up at around 205F the whole time. Continue heating them at 205F until the internal temp reaches 180F. This took right at 16 hours.

I pulled them out and poured some apple juice over them and covered them up and let them sit in the oven until they cooled down enough to shred.
I vacum sealed the shredded meat up and tossed the packs in the fridge. To reheat I just tossed the vac bags of pork in simmering water for 10 minutes then sauced it down and served.
Pretty simply ans soooooo good. Enjoy!
Pat

NePaSmoKer

Very nice ice.
Cant beat the CYM on briskits too.

Thanx for sharing

nepas

Smoking Duck

Nice work, Pat!

I've always had a question about the rub.......

Can you put too much of it on?  I've never had a problem getting a real thick bark, but wonder if too much dry rub hinders the flow of the spices down through the pork or if too much rub will somehow not allow the smoke to penetrate the pork as much.

I know these seem like stupid questions but have always wondered if too much rub is not too good.

Thanks as always,

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoking Duck on April 29, 2008, 03:55:11 PM
I've always had a question about the rub.......

Can you put too much of it on?  I've never had a problem getting a real thick bark, but wonder if too much dry rub hinders the flow of the spices down through the pork or if too much rub will somehow not allow the smoke to penetrate the pork as much.

You can definately put too much rub on depending on the composition of the rub.  I have bought some rub, and made some based on recipes and they contain too much salt.  Would be better as a seasoning and not a rub. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

Great 'How To' Ice, looks like you covered everything..... well except where the cold beverages are kept.  ;D ;D
Thanks.

Smoking Duck

Thanks Giz.  I always felt like I put too much rub on my pulled pork (Most of the time I use the Renowned Mr Brown rub).  Next time, I'll go a little easier on the rub and see what that gets me.

Again, great job Ice.  Even for someone like me, who's been doing them for a little while, it's nice to see a pro's way of doing things.  Not only are you missing the adult beverages in the pics, but the main ingredient, YOUR SAUCE!  I'll bet it's nice never running out of it!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra