• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just Venting.....

Started by USDA Prime, May 14, 2008, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USDA Prime

.... speaking of which, the vent control is rarely mentioned in the forum.  Someone have a good guideline on "how open" for "how long" on which meats, etc?  One more question - what's the secret to getting that great, dark, crunchy, char look (like the one in all your pictures) without ending up with Dried Boston Butt or Baby Back Rib Jerky?
TENDER SUCCULENT & NATURALLY AGED And the meat's not bad either!

westexasmoker

I believe the rule of thumb is as long as its not backing out through the generator your ok, but I'm one to advise, I run mine full open always.  But I also smoke longer than rule of thumb...ok fine I'm a rebel!  ;D  Someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

USDA welcome to the site.  With what I know...which is very little...westex is correct vent enuff so that the smoke dosent back up into the generator.  With the bark ? I have found that the more rub that Ive got on a meat the more bark (black stuff) that I have.  Now that might be totaly wrong but dont worry cuz one of the pros will chime in very quickly.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Arcs_n_Sparks

After we have exhausted the PID options on the BS, I think we need the next wave looking at stepper motor controllers for the vent.   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on May 14, 2008, 06:20:54 PM
After we have exhausted the PID options on the BS, I think we need the next wave looking at stepper motor controllers for the vent.   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

I always knew you were an overachiever.  You top 10% guys never give thanks to the bottom 10% like me who made you look good.  ;D  However, when you do it, I will gladly hold an adult beverage, watch and cheer you on.  ;)

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

Arcs putting my PID together took all of my patience, temper, and attention span that I had.  If you will just make a bunch i will buy one.

Arcs_n_Sparks

TT,

Got a good design for my PID, but would have to pay myself $0.75/hour so it would be affordable to the members.  :D

I suppose with a good supply chain, the price could be very reasonable for the clan here. I am starting to look at what a run of 100+ boards would be. Hard part is the box, cut-outs, and point-to-point wiring. Haven't figured out how to get that done easier.

I am, at a distance, reaching for another beverage to think about it...   :D :D :D

FLBentRider

....We could have a third (PID) input and hook it up to a humidity sensor and trigger the vent to open...

::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tturaider

Arcs and FL im not sure exactly what you both jsut said but put me down for a order if it helps out with the smoking.  Hell I even prepay!!!

westexasmoker

Cool...something else I can fry in a heartbeat...sign me up!!

C

tturaider

westex depending on the price we may have to share the cost on this as well and just trade it out as we each need it...cuz im still not sure what they are talking about but it sounds expensive.  Just like anytime my girlfriend wants something that I have no idea what it is...its always expensive.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 14, 2008, 07:26:14 PM
Cool...something else I can fry in a heartbeat...sign me up!!

As you may know, the tech industry is always looking for early adopters!!   :D :D :D

westexasmoker

Sign me up..where did I put that last glass, of, oh its bedtime...the boss just said so, oh found it! Right by the pc where I left it!!   ;D  Arcs yep call me inspector(adopter 12, or test dummy 1)... just what I need is another PID...lol  hence why I just leave it wide open...  :D :D :D

C

La Quinta

Aside from the PID gig you guys are talking about...I usually (for hot smoke) have my vent 2/3 to1/2 open.

As far as the PID...I will remain...well...you know the rest!!! :)