Ahh, Northwest Smoked Chicken

Started by Fuzzybear, December 05, 2004, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Howdy folks!

Broke out my Bradley from the shipping package yesterday, fired it up and smoked to yard birds!  Woo hoo!

It was 32 yesterday when I fired it up (farenheit) - took an hour to come to temp (185 degrees F) put the birds in (35 degrees in the breast meat) used 3 hours of smoke from the hotdog pucks (special blend)but it took almost 6 hours to bring the breast to 162 degrees due to the outside temps.

The Bradley had no problem maintaining the internal temp but the outside of the unit was as cold as ice.

Lesson learned?  plan on double the cook time when smoking outdoors in 32 degree weather!

They did turn out excellent though and our company normally eats late so the timing was ok afterall.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Chattaroy, WA - USA!

tsquared

Sounds good, Fuzzy. I did yardbirds for my first smoke last week too. Turned out great--used half of one for smoked chicken sangies, froze 3 halves in the Foodsaver bags for a rainy day. (Course,  all the days are rainy here on the Wetcoast right now!)[:)] I see you have lots of posts, did you have another smoker previous to your new purchase?
Tom

BigSmoker

Fuzzy,
Glad to hear your back in action[:)].  When its cold maybe spatchcock those birds and cut down on the cooking time.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Fuzz-man,

Glad to hear you're back in action![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

tsquared:  Prior to Bradley I used one of the electric bullet models - nothing compares to this though!  By unpacking, I just moved to Washington from Southern California and it was still wrapped up in the packing material from that move.  

The chicks were delicious and we're still having sandwiches with the leftovers!

Chattaroy, WA - USA!

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />The chicks were delicious <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll leave this one for Kirk.

Hay glad to see you are back.  I smoke when it gets that cold also.  My problem is just the wind or breeze, if I can keep it off the BS I do fine...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />The chicks were delicious <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll leave this one for Kirk.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
All I can say is, in most previous experiences of seeing that sentence, it was prefaced by the words "Dear Penthouse,".[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

It's good to be back and victim of the one liner grammar check errors!

Thanks guys!  I still say the chicks were delicious![;)]

Chattaroy, WA - USA!

tsquared

Well you're darn near a neighbor in WA.! Welcome to the neighborhood! I should be able to smell what you're smokin' if we get a sou'easter!
Tom

Fuzzybear

Dang near tsquared!

Chattaroy, WA - USA!