Shot a Turkey, Want to smoke but I have a question

Started by qcrowner, May 18, 2008, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qcrowner

Hi everyone,

I need your help.  I shot a turkey this morning and I am going to go finish cleaning it, my question is should I pluck it and leave the skin on or should I just skin it?  My plan is to smoke it next weekend for the holiday. 

Thanks everyone for the help.

Quentin

kiyotei

I have not done turkey but I smoke whole chickens with the skin on.  Helps keep them moist.  I would think smoking with skin off would lead to dryer meat.  You may consider brining the turkey as well since turkey is a bit dry and the brining will help make it more succulent.

Scotty-G

Congrats on the hunt.

My Turkey day routine for the last 3 years had been Cure overnight, cold smoke for 2 -3 hrs and then deep fry.  I leave the skin on.
When I smoke turkey legs, I've just applied rub ontop of and underneigth the skin and then into the smoker with them.

Right now I've got ground up turkey meat strips in the smoker - making some jerky  - should be ready in about 3 more hours :)

qcrowner

I have never cured anything before, can you give me some pointers?  The hunt was fun and now I can't wait to eat it.  This tom worked me over for about an hour!  My in-laws always make me can the turkey, but I told them this year I want to try smoking it.  Also if you have any recipes that would be great!

Scotty-G

First I would recommend doing a search in the forum for cures - believe there is a whole topic for just that.

Basically what I do is a mixture of salt, sugar and spices/flavorings.
put that into a cooler filled with water and stir until disolved.  Add enough salt to enable an egg to float is the general rule I use.
Then dunk turkey add some ice and close up cooler for several hours.

After curing, sit out and let air dry and come to room temp for about an hour while smoker warms up.
dry rub and into the smoker till proper Internal Temp.

I have more details in my journal but that is at home.