Prime Rib

Started by Mardi, December 06, 2004, 01:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardi

Hi All:

Thanks to your help my Thanksgiving turkey was wonderful.  I also have smoked some salmon, but it came out way too salty.  I'm not sure what I did wrong there.

Now I want to do a prime rib for Christmas.  I met a guy I really like and I want to impress the hell out of him with a great smoked prime rib dinner.

Any tips or recipes you all can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Chez Bubba

Quick & Easy? (Not you, the meat![:D])

Roll the rib in Lipton's French Onion soup mix the night before.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

Mardi,
Chez is right about the prime rib very easy.  I've have spiced mine several ways and there is no right or wrong way.
1.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Oak pucks(2-4 hrs depending on size of roast and your tastes) at 275°f until internal 130-135°f let rest for 30 min or so.  When you slice outside pieces should be medium to medium well, inside med. rare.

2.  Salt, pepper, cut slits into meat in lots of places place slivers of garlic in slits cook the same.

3.  Salt, pepper, Herbs De Provence, garlic again if you like it.  Have the butcher remove the bones and tie them back on.  Have the butcher cut an add'l piece of fat that will wrap around the entire roast.  Remove bones, rub spices all over roast including sides tie bones back on.  On the top place a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary then wrap roast with fat cap and tie it on.  Sprinkle with more spices and cook the same.  

When you cook in the Bradley at lower temps Mine usually(again each one is different) only rise 5-7° after I remove them and let them rest.  I have also used hickory and pecan for smoke flavor.  Be careful on the smokiness first time around especially if using hickory[:)].  If its just the two of you 3 bones should be enough for a great meal.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Mardi

Thanks for the advice.  My only problem will be the timing.  That's one of the problems of smoking food, having the timing right to be able to have dinner at a certain time.

How do you think it would work if I smoked it for about 3 hours at a lower temperature and bring the meat to around 110 degrees?  Then finish in the oven until it is done?  

BigRed

Quote<i>Originally posted by Mardi</i>
<br />Thanks for the advice.  My only problem will be the timing.  That's one of the problems of smoking food, having the timing right to be able to have dinner at a certain time.

How do you think it would work if I smoked it for about 3 hours at a lower temperature and bring the meat to around 110 degrees?  Then finish in the oven until it is done?  

Mardi!

I would smoke for 4 hours if you can for the flavor and then do the oven thing. I would put the probe in the meat if you are going to oven finish. I have done this with different foods once I get the smoke taste that I want. Do not do this with Pork Butt or Brisket, it is more fun cooking this low and slow in your BS. Good luck. Hope your friend likes Prime Rib rare to med rare.The only way to eat P Rib.

BigRED

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now I want to do a prime rib for Christmas. I met a guy I really like and I want to impress the hell out of him with a great smoked prime rib dinner.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mardi,

Just as there are smokers and there are smoker, there is only one refind smoker...the Bradley. With that said there are P-ribs and P-ribs, but only one P-rib if you want the best. It has to be off of the largest end of the rib. Normally these only go to the upper end resturants. However, you might be able to get one from a speciality meat shop. Below are two P-ribs.

In this first picture it has the lip on the rib. Nevertheless, with the lip or without this P-rib is just average. Look at the eye of the rib. See the fat above it to the right in the picture, that is cover with another layer of meat. This cut is somewhere from the middle of the rib. It is a so--so cut.

In this picture you will see an entirely different looking rib. Its eye is a true eye. It has almost no fat. Yes the marbling is limited; however, marbling is non-existent in a quality filet mignon which you can cut with a fork. Expect to pay $3 to $5 dollars more per pound for this cut. I have paid uppers to $10 per pound on a whole rib purchase.

Good Luck!
Olds

Now if you really want the best then order in KOBE BEEF! It generally sells for $100.00 per pound----OUCHIE! LOL!!!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mardi

Ok, the end of the story.  The Prime Rib came out fine.  I did finish it in the oven and that worked great.  My only complaint was that it didn't taste very smoky.  And, I smoked it for 3 hours (9 pucks).  I did let the meat come to room temperature before putting in the Bradley.  Any ideas as to why it didn't taste very smoky?

nsxbill

Mardi,

I just dropped about $35 on a nice prime rib, and going to try it after I marinade for 24 hours or so.  I am going to smoke for 4 hrs.  I have heard it said that the meat will absorb the smoke up to about 140°, so I figure that is when it is coming out anyway.  I have to defer to the experience others have had doing these.  I am going all the way in the BS til completion.  Will definitely let you know how it comes out.

I think I am going to use the Red Wine Marinade that was posted up:

RED WINE MARINADE
1/3 cup Olive Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup red wine (dry)
1tsp. ketchup
2 minced garlic cloves
¼ tsp barbecue seasoning
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp thyme
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 sprig of rosemary
½ tsp salt
Black pepper
1 small onion
1tbl Worcestershire

The big question!  Was the guy impressed even though it wasn't overly smokey? [}:)].  I am not big on prime rib, but wife really likes it, so going to give it a try.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mardi</i>
<br />Ok, the end of the story.  The Prime Rib came out fine.  I did finish it in the oven and that worked great.  My only complaint was that it didn't taste very smoky.  And, I smoked it for 3 hours (9 pucks).  I did let the meat come to room temperature before putting in the Bradley.  Any ideas as to why it didn't taste very smoky?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What type of wood did you use? As Jeff had mentioned,I would have used four hours of smoke. When I smoke beef I use a blend of hickory and mesquite (3 hickory = 1 mesquite).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

Mardi,
The rib roast would have probally been more smokey if you had cold smoked and then wrapped in plastic wrap and back in fridge overnight.
HTH.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Hello All!

Off work today and it has been raining like hell here in Northern California.  Wind whipping through the property and the covered back porch where my smoking is done.  

I started my Prime Rib yesterday by giving it a good rub of Lipton Onion Soup, and into the refrigerator until 0600 this morning.  At 0900 hrs, I cranked up the Bradley and set the guru to BS temp of 225° to warm up everything for an hour.  At ten exactly just as I was standing up to put in the meat into the BS, work called and wanted me to come in for OT.  I told them, "Not today!"  I was cooking!  Prime Rib went in with a rack above filled with bacon.  

At 1400, exactly 4 hours after starting the meat, the BBQ Guru woke me up from  a nap in the bedroom.  Meat  was at 137° and ready for a saran wrap and the shelter of the Coleman cooler.  The meat was wrapped in a towel and entered the world or darkness to be removed at about 1730 when the little woman gets home.  It was all I could do to postpone just a little taste.  It looks obscene, and the Lipton Soup is giving off a nice aroma of onion.  The outside of the roast has a beautiful color, and looks and smells great.

Was going to do scalloped potatoes as a side, but I think I will just do a couple of nice big baked potatoes with what else, butter, sour cream, and bacon from the top rack chopped finely for sprinkling on top.  Maybe some nice french cut green beans as a side.  

The wine is cold and I am in anticipation of another BS success.  I hope the next two hours go quickly![:p]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />work called and wanted me to come in for OT.  I told them, "Not today!"  I was cooking!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I love a man with his priorities straight![8D]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by nsxbill

work called and wanted me to come in for OT. I told them, "Not today!" I was cooking!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love a man with his priorities straight![:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well I said to my boss I was very sick and was going to stay home...her reply was to kicked me out of bed![:0]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

That's what you get for sleeping with the management![;)]

birdboy

Hey NSXBILL,
You may consider substituting a burgandy for red wine.  I've got a great receipe for flank steak and I really like the flavor that burgandy gives it.

Ya Olds there sure is a difference, makin' me hungry.  Reminds me of when I was doing the Chef thing at a resort, we would do this big dry aged p-rib dinners and usually have a bunch left over.  So after the guests left, grab that p-rib take a 8" section right out of the middle, cut out the eye and have a fantastic dinner [:p]  Nice when it was one of those fringe benefits and you didn't have to foot the bill [:D]