• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cured Ham

Started by mikemaupin, May 22, 2008, 01:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemaupin

Hey all, I've always wanted to try a sugar cured ham spiral sliced and smoke it. These hams are really good as they come from the store, even cold but better if heated. I picked one up today and would like to add a good smoke flavor to it. They are fully cured and cooked and I thought I would put one in the bradly and use some maple bring it to say to 100 deg (int temp) with the top of the foil open to prevent dryness. Any suggestions, tips? Mike Maupin

PS thanks

Habanero Smoker

I've never tried smoking a ham that was fully cooked, especially one that is spiral cut. I believe there are a few post on here about this. You also may want to check out Old's T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham recipe:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Although you are not double smoking, many of the techniques he uses may apply.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

I have yet to try one in my BS, but have always smoked them on my offset box.  I don't see why it would'nt work in the Bradley.  4 hours of hickory at roughly 220 and then glazed with a mixture of honey, molasses, bbq sauce and bourbon during the last hour or so.  Pulled off and refridgerated overnight, next morning pop into the oven just to heat up and goes to the Xmas party at work,  which has become a staple there and I think the only reason they keep me employed!  ;D  I'll definitely be trying one in BS!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mikemaupin

Thanks fellows, I will give it a try. All I want to do is to get some smoke flafor into it without altering to much of anything else.

mikemaupin

Hab, that link sounds like exactly what I want to do. What kind of T-shirt excatky dose he mean?. maybe a sweat shirt? Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mike;

He uses an ordinary man's 100% cotton white undershirt (T-shirt). I have never tried this but keep meaning too. At one point I went to a fabric store and bought T-shirt material, but I haven't gotten around to this. I've seen other posts where several members have tried this and raved about it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)