ABT's?

Started by La Quinta, July 15, 2008, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on July 17, 2008, 09:29:22 PM
My original thought on the question...was...is 200/210ish hot enough to destroy the bacteria? I think the reason we are seeing this more is because countries such as Mexico are willing (and able) to produce them cheaper then the US is "willing" to sell home grown products for. Labor...benefits....taxes...all the stuff we are confronted/afforded with as Americans...isn't cheap. The answer is...buy local...if they don't have em...cook something else!! :) Uh...IMHO....

If one does not feel comfortable in using jalapenos and tomatoes (though tomatoes have been dropped from the list) at this time one should definitely avoid these foods. I also feel that one should always buy locally when every possible.

Cooking at 200°F -  210°F, will destroy the bacteria if you get the food up to at least 140°F and it has been at that temperature or higher for a few minutes. When you get food up to 165°F all food borne bacteria are killed instantly. ABT's are small in mass, so even if the center is mostly fat when that obtains a temperature of 140°F or higher; you can be sure that every part of the ABT is thoroughly cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

I see in the news today that the salmonella watch has been lifted.

"FDA lifts warning, says eating tomatoes OK
AP "

Hm, now they can raise the prices higher then they are now. $10lb. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

aha638

Peppers are still on the list!

Al

La Quinta