• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prime Rib

Started by schneep, November 07, 2008, 08:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

OK, planning on doing a prime rib and could use some advise.  I have found some things here on the forum, but is there a step by step recipe?  is there a rub that is not over powering, or do you cure a prime?

I have the OBS, bubba pucks, PID and ET-73, apple, hickory, alder, and mesquite bisquettes.

The weather here is cold, so may have to smoke and then put into oven. (Help)

I've done pulled pork, :) spare ribs, :-\  ABT's ;D ground turkey :) turkey breast  ;D and bacon wrapped chicken breast ;D
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

Consiglieri

Here's a link to one I did last Christmas, but I didn't use the Bradley because I wanted high heat (you'll have to scroll down to reply 649)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3263.649

Here's a link to my first try in the bradley.  Lot's of help from others along the way.  The Lipton soup mix winds up being a great base rub. 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4454.0

Good luck!
Consiglieri

Oldman

My taste is simple. I smoke a P-rib with nothing on it. I get my OBS as hot as it will go. (300F plus then I put in the rib.) 2 hours of Oak smoke.

Once cook to rare (130F) I place it into an ice chest and cover it with a beef stock I've made. In the stock I add a beef bouillon (get a good one with limited salt if possible.) Next for pepper I use Worcestershire sauce--just enough to begin to "think" you can taste it.

The stock which at this point is more like Au Jus must be boiling when your pour it over the Rib. Allow it to stay in the ice chest for at least one hour...It will be at best Medium rare. The longer in the chest the more it will cook. One year I did one to 120F. Placed it in the ice chest and covered for 5 hours with the stock. It came out mid-mid-rare to medium. The very ends where medium well.

By doing this way the stock truly becomes a great tasting Au Jus and the beef takes on the stock flavoring... a true melding of flavors. The left over Au Jus is the greatest base for a beef vegetable soup.

Your stock can be made of many items, but no tomato at all--you add tomato and it will take on a vegetable soup flavor. I've used egg shells, egg whites -- no egg yokes, carrots, onions with skin on, light amounts of celery heads and odd beef pieces that I've trimmed off of early items I've cooked. Sometimes I will add one can of Campbell Beef Consommé'. Now the salt will come from the beef bouillon--just make sure not to use to much. As I said keep the  Worcestershire sauce lightly or it will take over the stock flavoring.

Do not add the  Worcestershire sauce until the last minute before you bore this over the beef as it will boil off.

This recipe I've found over the years no matter how long you leave the rib in the Au Jus will give you the softest moistest beef you have ever eaten.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Wildcat

That sounds wonderful Olds.  I will have to give it a try.  I will need to take it on up to an end result of medium to medium well though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/