• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New kid on block with no idea

Started by Buckshot, January 04, 2005, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckshot

Thanks everyone for the help [:D]
It has got me thinking and i will try out what you have said.
Just one more question, how hot should the smoker get my hits a high of about 200 with the outside temp about 60. I am useing the smoker in a shed so there is no wind problem. is this right.
Thanks for the welcome
Buckshot

Habanero Smoker

If you are using Fahrenheit measurement, I usually cook mine at 200-210 degrees F, but I seen some post in which some went as high as 250.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Buckshot I would call Bradley; that sounds a tad low to me. That is only 140 F degree rise. At 80-90 degrees mine will hit 300 plus without any problems...not that I smoke at that high temp--which I don't,

Bradley are great folks to talk to, and stand behind what they make.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Buckshot,

I would definitely call Bradley.  In fact, I have been experiencing the same problem with my new BS, and Cassandra Walker at Bradley has been great to deal with.  The first thing she will recommend is checking to make sure that another good-quality thermometer is also registering pretty close to your BS gauge.  If it's not, the BS thermometer could be the problem, and I'm sure they'll replace it no problem. Assuming that the BS gauge is reasonably accurate, the heating element is probably the culprit and I'm sure they will take care of you on that one, too.  My unit, though "new" and shipped to me in mid-December, had the older glass heating element in it.  The newer stainless steel element they are sending me is not only sturdier, it heats up a bit hotter as well.

Hope this helps,

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

I just experienced the same thing with mine.  There was a 30 + degree difference between the Mav and the BS thermo and the unit would only heat to 190 on the door thermo... when I turn the power slider all the way to the right the light would go out and it would stop heating.  Had to get a replacement temp slider, plugged it in after that let it heat for 20 minutes at 30 degrees outside and it was at 275, so it seemes to be the fix.

Ian

Good Afternoon Habanero & JJC,
After reading your threads there, regarding Mr. Harold McGee, I feel the need to visit my local Chapters and order his book. Thanx very much for the lead.

Ian <b>( GO STEELERS!!!!!! )</b>

Ian

Good Afternoon Mallard Wacker,
USC sucks canal water? Can I assume that would be what we might refer to as swamp water or bog? LOL!!!![:D]

Ian <b>( GO STEELERS!!!! )</b>

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Cassandra Walker at Bradley has been great to deal with....My unit, though "new" and shipped to me in mid-December, had the older glass heating element in it.  The newer stainless steel element they are sending me is not only sturdier, it heats up a bit hotter as well.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Absolutely agree about Cassandra, she's top-notch!

Man, somebody doesn't turn their inventory very often. The SS bulbs were an improvement change LAST January!

I know I've posted this before, but in case you didn't see it John:  When replacing the heater bulb, make sure to only snug the screws to just tight. If you crank on them, you will crack the ceramic holders.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Cassandra Walker at Bradley has been great to deal with....My unit, though "new" and shipped to me in mid-December, had the older glass heating element in it.  The newer stainless steel element they are sending me is not only sturdier, it heats up a bit hotter as well.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Absolutely agree about Cassandra, she's top-notch!

Man, somebody doesn't turn their inventory very often. The SS bulbs were an improvement change LAST January!

I know I've posted this before, but in case you didn't see it John:  When replacing the heater bulb, make sure to only snug the screws to just tight. If you crank on them, you will crack the ceramic holders.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks for rubbing it in that I bought my BS at the wrong place [:D]

I really do appreciate the word of warning on the screws.  BTW, Cassandra is also sending me a new temp controller in case that's the problem.  She could have just sent one item or the other in case that worked, but she didn't want me to have to wait any longer than necessary to have a fully functional unit.  That's really customer service!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

birdboy

They shipped me a new heater element by mistake instead of the heater control.  They told me to keep it and upgrade the glass one I had... went to do that and I didn't have a glass one already had the SS so I have a spare.

Also when you go to replace that temp control notice how lightly the screws (in the cover and body) are tightened and when you put them back in make sure you only lightly snug them.  4 of mine were already stripped before I even took a screwdriver too them.  I called them and they weren't too concerned about it, said it only holds sheet metal, so just a word of warning so you don't strip any.