• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Kummok's Brine question

Started by okeejohn, March 07, 2009, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

A friend of mine that owns a local chinese restaurant wants me to brine some salmon. The salmon weighs 4 pounds. How do I adjust the Brine in Kommok's rercipe for 4 lbs of salmon??

Okeejohn

pensrock

I think there may be enough there for that much fish. I cannot say for sure because everytime I made it I never really weighed the fish. I just put it all into a large plastic bag or tall plastic container and make sure there is enough liquid to cover everything. I would say as long as it is covered you are good to go.

okeejohn

If there  is any brine left over, can it be saved??

Okeejohn

Mr Walleye

OkeeJohn

What I have done in the past is divide Kummok's recipe in half or even 1/4 of it and mix it in batches. It really depends on how big the container your using to brine it in. Here's a link to a Recipe Adjuster Program that way you can maintain the correct proportions.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

QuoteIf there  is any brine left over, can it be saved??

I would only save unused brine, and normally do have a little left over but toss it.
You do not want to save any used brine that meat has been in.

Kummok

You're getting great advice here from Pens and Walleye, Okeejohn....proportion the brine recipe. The recipe given is enough to do at least 10-15 lbs by stirring often.

Using the leftover brine again ensures a one way trip to smoker's hell!  ;)  Don't tell anyone here but I actually tried it once and it was wrong on all kinds of levels..  :-X