So Confused!

Started by eszepher, April 13, 2009, 10:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eszepher

I have just ordered my new BS. It is the JIm Beam model. Is it different than the original? Can you use sauce in the smoker? I have so many questions about this new way of cooking for me. I have read many of the posts and just brings up more questions. I normally grill babybacks, and use sauce. Do iwant to do this? Should I smoke then grill? Any sugestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You!

Ka Honu

You're probably asking too many questions at once to get them all answered.  I'd suggest you check the forum and recipe site (here) for posts about and recipes for what you want to smoke, read a bunch of them, and then give it a shot, asking any questions you may still have.

As to the ribs, one of the many answers is prep them, smoke them, cook them some more, finish them on the grill if you want - no sauce necessary.  There are countless variations on that and similar themes; you should read up a bit more and see which ones appeal to you, then adjust to your own style and taste.

Once you get some of the basics down, everything else is a function of the Bradley's flexibility and your imagination.  You'll have a ball and cook up some really great stuff.

Habanero Smoker

Hi eszepher;
Welcome to the forum.

It's alright to ask as many question as one can, but it is more helpful for others to answer if your questions are more specific.

I believe the Jim Beam only comes in the 4 rack digital model; so in that aspect it is different from the original models. If you compare the Jim Beam to the other Bradley 4 rack digital, the only difference from the Jim Beam model is the logo.

Many will spritz their ribs with apple juice, but most do not use sauce in the smoker. As Ka Honu suggested, if you want to finish your ribs with sauce, finish them on the grill then add the sauce.

Here's a site that will answer a lot of questions:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Welcome to the boards eszepher!

As you have already found out, lots of good information here.  Confusing - seems that it is so.  But what Habs and Ka Honu have already mentioned, it seems confusing because there is more than one way to skin the cat - so to say!  Lots of people have found different ways to get a product (smoked meat) that they like or they have found a way to get a great smoked meat in a way that is easier or better for them.  In the grand scheme of smokedom, there is not a "right" way, but the way that you and your loved ones like.  Take ribs for instance, some swear by pork, some beef - some like baby back, some prefer spareribs or St. Louis style - some like rub, some no rub while some marinate or even brine - some precook in the oven before putting on the smoker, some smoke first then finish in the oven, and even some boil (shudder) before putting them in the smoker - some put one hour smoke, while some put smoke on the entire time - some foil/boat, some don't - some sauce, some don't - some cook until fall apart, while some like a little chewiness left.  Funny thing is that all seem to get what they want in a rib.  They just found what suits them.  And that wasn't always the first time.  Sometimes they had to cook ribs a few times until they got what they wanted.  Man, that is tough work, eating experimental ribs!  NOT!  One of the few pursuits in life where the failures are still delicious!  There are basically no rules, except the ones for food safety.  My suggestion is just to pick a simple "recipe" such as on the recipe board.  Try it.  See what you like about it, and what you don't.  Make note and try something a little different next time.  Past that, it is a journey to smokey perfection.  We never get there, there is always something in the back of our mind to try next time to make those ribs better.  Sometimes you win, sometimes it doesn't turn out.  But you know, it's all about the journey , and what a flavorful journey it is!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Habs & Caney - You guys are much smoother than I; thanks for hacking off some of my (unintended) rough edges.

eszepher - Sorry if I sounded a bit "abrupt;"  I didn't mean to.  There's so much info, experience, and "lore" on the forum that it can definitely be intimidating to try to sift through it all but you'll definitely want to do your homework here.  I've found that the best way for me to start on a project (like ribs) is to find a bunch of different threads and recipes (plus articles from other sources), read as many of them as I can, and combine the concepts and specifics into my own "experiment" (although I have to admit that it's pretty near impossible to improve on some of the specific recipes and instructions you'll find around here). Along the way, you'll probably have some specific questions or issues you'd like some help with and there's no better place to get it than from this group.

As Caney pointed out, the only "perfect" smoke is the next one; it's a never-ending quest.  The good news is that each step is its own reward - guaranteed to teach you something new and almost always tastes pretty good, too.

eszepher

Thanks guys for your responses! I have been reading quite a bit on the subject. You have all basically said the same thing, trial and error till YOU are satisfied. This will be an adventure I think I will enjoy! Thank you for all your input!

Roadking

Low & Slow works for me. I shoot for 225ยบ in the cabinet and when I see 1/4" of bone on the rib exposed. I'm done then I use my sauce. Now that works for me. Others have there own system.

NePaSmoKer

Same as Roadking does. 225* is perfect for ribs  ;D

nepas