• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sremska (Serbian) Sausage Making

Started by geofite, April 26, 2009, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofite

This meat was cured with cure #1 for 48 hours.

Fat added to the mix.

Put through the smallest gring.

Spices added and mixed well.

Natural hog casing being put on the sausage stuffer.

Stuffed sausages.

Sausages hung in room temperature to dry casings for about an hour.

Watch dog making sure sausages don't disappear.

Into the smoker for 2 hours of hickory smoke at 130 degrees. Then raise the temp to 150 until internal temp of sausages reaches 152.

Will post the final results and taste test when sausages are done cooking.

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

geofite

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 26, 2009, 03:52:22 PM
Holy Moly Geo!

Those look awesome!

C

Thanks, for the compliment. I sure hope they taste good. This is the first time making this recipe.

I used the recipe at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to serbian sausage. I did a few modifications to this recipe based on Rytek Kutas (The sausage maker) sausage making instructions. I did the smoked cooked recipe.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

NePaSmoKer

Looks great. Nice fat to meat ratio too

Tip: While your casings are soaking add 2 Tbls of white vinegar to the water, makes the veins almost disappear.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Quote from: geofite on April 26, 2009, 03:45:50 PM
Into the smoker for 2 hours of hickory smoke at 130 degrees. Then raise the temp to 150 until internal temp of sausages reaches 152.

They look great Geofite!  ;)

I'm think you probably have the tower temp higher than 150 to reach 152 IT.  ;)

I think by the looks of the 2nd last photo that if a sausage falls... it won't hit the floor!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

drano

I'm with Walleye, its gonna take a loooong time to reach 152 IT w/ the smoker at 150 ;D.
Honestly, those look great.  I'm sure they'll taste even better. 
Do you have a PID on your OBS?  Some day you might want one.  They sure make holding temps right where you want them easy.  My Auber programable plug-n-play holds w/in a degree.  I set it to 140, 160, & 170 for 1 hr each, then 175 for a couple hours, then 180 or 185 to push them to 152 IT. 

get smokin
drano

Smokin Soon

Lookin real good Drano! I have tried that recipe myself with some mods to increase the garlic and heat index, and it's one of my regulars in stock in the freezer.

Caneyscud

Man, those look great,  Can't wait to do my first sausages.  Got the grinder (delivered by UPS), but for some reason they can't find my address so they can deliver the stuffer!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Looks PDG there GEO. I haven't tried that variety as of yet. I'm with the others the pup aint guarding he's praying one of them sausages will fall.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Yeah that looks great GEO, I will have to put it on my To-Do list.

lumpy

Another tid bit I just learned.
Adding 2 tbsp of vinegar to the casings while soaking to eliminate the veins. I always wondered how to get rid of them ???

Gotta love the watch dog :)

Thanks for the pics.
Lumpy

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: lumpy on April 28, 2009, 08:19:04 PM
Another tid bit I just learned.
Adding 2 tbsp of vinegar to the casings while soaking to eliminate the veins. I always wondered how to get rid of them ???

Gotta love the watch dog :)

Thanks for the pics.
Lumpy

It also makes the casings clearer, and I find when using vinegar while soaking helps prevent the casings from getting tough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sodak

Learn something everyday on this forum with the vinegar trick!  Thanks.

Caribou

Enjoyed the "Sausagementary" great photos!
I have a question (as always), do you cut the ends of the casings or twist them until they break?
I've only made smoked sausages with real hog casings not fresh sausages.
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caribou on May 20, 2009, 03:31:22 PM
Enjoyed the "Sausagementary" great photos!
I have a question (as always), do you cut the ends of the casings or twist them until they break?
I've only made smoked sausages with real hog casings not fresh sausages.
Carolyn
I Just cut mine apart with kitchen shears/scissors after sitting for awhile so the links can take shape and form. Helps with the not unraveling.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!