My first brisket

Started by FlashOfBlue, April 28, 2009, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlashOfBlue

I picked up a trimmed flat brisket the other day knowing little about packers vs. trimmed packers vs. trimmed flats (now I know).  I hated to waste a good piece of meat so I yelled for help and got it.  Thanks to all who replied in my earlier post.  Things turned out well I think. 

- Used Big Bad Beef Rub overnight as directed by RoadKing....  http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html
- 4 thick pieces of bacon strapped across the top
- Smoked 4 hrs with apple/hickory mix  (forgive me WTS for no mesquite, couldn't wait)
- Cooked another 3 hrs or so to get to 175 degrees.
- Crutched it with beef broth in a 250 degree oven until reached 190 degrees  (about another hr)
- FTC for about 3 hours until dinner time.
- Served with baked beans and slaw

Now, I have not had a whole lot of beef brisket in my day, but this was pretty tasty.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FlashOfBlue on April 28, 2009, 05:30:51 PM
Now, I have not had a whole lot of beef brisket in my day, but this was pretty tasty.

That's all that matters!!! You learned something and Even your Mistake tasted good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Looks tasty as well.
I like to bias cut (45 deg angle) the brisket as well.  Some will say it makes the meat feel more tender but I also like the larger slices.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Can't kill a brisket.....Congrats! 

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. I always smoke/cook flats because it is mostly what is sold in my area. As long as they are not overly trimmed they turn out good. If you can find them still cryovac they have plenty of fat; enough that you will need to trim some off. Oak is another good flavor that goes with beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Congradulations!  A little learning curve, but you will find that smoking is fun, easy, and very tasty.  Once you get the hang of it, you will be hard pressed to find a commercial place that can match what you do.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Good looking eats there Flash.  Congrats on the smoke.  BTW, you can mop during the smoke rather than using bacon as long as you do it after the rub has time to set - say in the last half of the smoke.  Ditto on the oak.  Lots of the biggies in the Brisket Capital use Post Oak on their brisket.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Your briskit looks really good Flash  ;D  nicely done.

nepas

FlashOfBlue

Quote from: Caneyscud on April 29, 2009, 07:15:37 AM

BTW, you can mop during the smoke rather than using bacon as long as you do it after the rub has time to set

I thought about a mop, but bacon was "fire and forget" and was sure good chopped up in the baked beans.  ;D