My first pork butt and crock pot

Started by 12AMNSX, May 03, 2009, 07:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12AMNSX

I smoked my first pork butts yesterday and wanted to share my procedure and results since they came out soooooo tasty.   :D

I let them sit in the fridge covered with rub overnight.  Unfortunately, I didn't label the container with the kind of rub when I made it several weeks ago, so I don't know exactly what rub it was that I used.  But is was good!

There were two butts, one about 7 pounds and the other about 5.  I put them in the BS for 7 hours at 200 degrees, 4 with Hickory, the other 3 hours with no smoke.  I took the large butt out and placed it in a large crock pot along with a mixture of 50% apple juice and 50% homemade BBQ sauce.  I cooked it on low for 8 hours and then let it sit over night at the warm setting.  Total cooking time was about 24 hours.  Extremely tasty and feel apart with the push of a fork.  In fact, I had to use one of those large pasta spoons to get it out.

I left the smaller butt in the smoker for another 8 hours at 200 degrees.  I then FTMed it.  That is, foil, towel, microwave.  I used the microwave instead of a cooler since it's more convenient and serves the same function of keeping the warmth.  This morning the smaller butt was pretty much done, but not as "fall apart" done as the other larger butt from the crock pot.  Very tasty none the less.  It has a different flavor since it wasn't exposed to the BBQ sauce.  Since it wasn't quite as "fall apart" done as I would like, I placed it in a warm oven for a few hours to finish it off.

Overall, my experience was a good one and produced the best pulled pork I (or my GF) have ever tasted.

Today I smoke 3 racks of spare ribs.... ;D

Gizmo

It is amazing how you can tweak a couple of ingredients and produce a new taste that is really great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Very kool 12AMNSX...I do mine in the crock pot....I do 4 hours of smoke and finish in a similar manner that you did...just works for us...

Oh yeah...welcome to the forum!!!  ;D

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard 12AMNSX!! Sound like you have things going in the right direction.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

12AMNSX

Thanks for the welcome!

I guess I should have introduced myself.  I've been lurking in this forum for ideas and recipes and thought it was time to share.  My girlfriend gave me the OBS for Christmas in 07.  I love it and have used it quite a bit.  I've smoked chickens, ribs, fish and now butts.  Some day I want to try my hand at jerky.   :o

sherlock

Welcome to our world. When you do make your jerky, you will wonder why you waited so long. ;D

Gizmo

Welcome 12AMNSX,
One thing to remember when doing jerky especially if you are using the Bradley the entire time, rotate the racks often (30 minutes to 1 hour) from top to bottom and front to back.  The heating element at the bottom of the unit and on the back wall, will cook the meat on the bottom rack or two if you don't rotate them and that is not what you want to be doing.  If you do a lot of jerk, you will eventually want to get a dehydrator to help out after the smoke is applied.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

josbocc

Welcome to the forum 12AMNSX,

Sounds like a great way to do those butts!!!  I echo the sentiment of others here..., if you're gonna do jerky, investing in a good dehydrator is the way to go.  You can do some great jerk in the Bradley, but that is one smoke that needs your careful attention as Gizmo was kind enough to point out.

Going with an Excalibur, LEM, or Cabela's dehydrator (those are the three that I have had), makes making jerky a snap.  Pop it in the dehydrator, set the temp and timer, and come back when it's done.

Good Luck,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Here are the results of jerky smoked in your BS and then dehydrated in my cabelas 80L

nepas