• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Which Wood, you decide!

Started by ExpatCanadian, May 07, 2009, 06:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Hello all,

It's my annual "kick off the summer" BBQ on Saturday....  got around 20 people coming 'round for a big feed and probably a good few drinks as well.  The menu so far consists of:

• Pulled Pork
  • Vegetarian Pulled Pork (Using Jackfruit)
  • Grilled Peppers, courgettes (zucchini), aubergines (eggplant) and portobello mushrooms
  • Cole Slaw
  • Potato Salad
  • Texas Beans
  • Some dessert yet to be decided  ???

Anyway, I'm collecting my "butt" from my butcher tomorrow afternoon, getting it rubbed  :P (Got some BBBR on it's way via DHL from Germany...  the only supplier in Europe, but not sure if it's gonna arrive in time) I'll be running my smoke overnight....  question for you all is WHAT WOOD?

I haven't been doing this long enough to actually have a preference...  in fact, I've liked all the ones I've tried so far.  The options I've listed are the only ones I have at the moment, so please vote and I promise to use whichever wood wins!  Feel free to comment if you think I should use a mixture....!

I'll need to decide by around 21:00 GMT tomorrow evening so the results at that point will be used.....

Thanks!

KyNola

Can't vote on this.  There's no hickory on the list! :D

KyNola

Tenpoint5

I'm with Kynola No Hickory!!!! Guess the Messywood would have to do.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ExpatCanadian

Oh no....!!  I wanted some hickory but when I ordered my bisquettes they were out of stock, so I got Pecan instead.  Unfortunately there aren't many retail places in the UK where I can buy them, so it's all about mail order.

I'll stock up on Hickory next time I place an order, but isn't Pecan a fairly close substitute?

manxman

Quotethere aren't many retail places in the UK where I can buy them,

Very true, and on occasions I seem to have got old stock from some online suppliers. The bisquettes seem to crumble and fall apart very easily.

I tend to buy direct from the UK importer nowadays, that way you seem to be guaranteed fresh stock.

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/shop/

I have tried a few different pucks with pork and have always come back to apple!  :)
Manxman

FLBentRider

I'm with KyNola and 10.5 - Hickory here for Pork.

After that, Apple or oak. I use messy wood on beef.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ExpatCanadian

Manxman, Thanks for your pointer...  that's actually the place I got my BDS from a couple months back and they were awaiting a shipment of bisquettes when I ordered so I had limited choice.  However, they seem to be fully stocked now....  so will have to place an order to get me through the summer.  I suspect they run low once the "season" ends so I'll have to make sure I get enough to last the winter.....

manxman

QuoteI suspect they run low once the "season" ends so I'll have to make sure I get enough to last the winter.....

No problem, like you suggest I normally try and order a years supply of pucks round April / May time.

There never seems to be any "special offers" here in the UK on pucks or any other Bradley stuff to the extent I rarely even bother looking nowadays.
Manxman

KyNola

TD,
Was just messing with you earlier but hickory is my favorite for pork butts.  Apple, pecan or oak in that order would be my next preferences.  Any of them will do just fine.  Relax and enjoy yourself.

Show and tell us how it turned out.

KyNola

ExpatCanadian

Will do...  no worries.  I'm more worried about the vegetarians than anything....  but hey, I'll do my best and if they don't like it, it's their problem for being vegetarians  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: tdcooper on May 07, 2009, 10:12:20 AM
Will do...  no worries.  I'm more worried about the vegetarians than anything....  but hey, I'll do my best and if they don't like it, it's their problem for being vegetarians  ;D
If they don't like it they can pound Sand!! You made the effort to accommodate their style of eating. Even though it is different than yours. You made the Effort. Don't worry your party will be great!! take lots of pic's
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Here is a break down for ya.

Hickory is a medium wood perfect for beef or chicken.

Mesquite is a medium wood more aromatic than hickory, and excellent for beef.

Pecan is a medium-hard wood, very versatile, and a good choice for long, slow cooking/smoking pork, beef, or poultry.

Apple & Alder are soft woods, burn cooler and have more moisture in the wood.  Used for slow cooking/smoking fish and large poultry, such as turkey.

Maple has a lightly-smokey aroma, and is excellent for cold smoking cheeses, vegetables and small poultry.

Cherry and Oak are a hard woods and burn at hotter temperatures.  Excellent for beef cooking/smoking fresh fish.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I almost always use pecan on pork. Pecan I very similar to hickory, but a bit milder and sweeter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PensacolaJim

I concur with most responces, No Hickory.  :-\ :-\ :-\
Slow Smoked and falling off the bone, Yum!

La Quinta

I'd mix...but since you have no hickory....I'd go with Pecan...