• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First shot at ribs (well... kind of)

Started by jha1223, May 10, 2009, 07:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

So I made baby backs on Saturday of this week and I would have taken a picture, but they just couldn't wait to be eaten.  I did a 3-2-1 on them and they came out great.  If I could change anything, I would have them be not so much fall off the bone.  Made cutting them a bit rough.  But with the bark and a nice glaze of sauce on top from the grill - wow.  I used the rub from the competition ribs post and couldn't be happier. 

Not too surprisingly, my wife asked me if I would mind smoking some ribs today for her mom.  I guess she called her mom and told her how good the ribs were.  Her mom said a nice slab of ribs would be a nice Mother's Day present :D  Another chance to hone my skills with the OBS?  Heck yes!  Since her mom doesn't care much for baby backs, I grabbed a nice slab of spare ribs and cut them up St. Louis style, put on the rub and let them sit overnight.  Today, the weather wouldn't cooperate and started to rain  :o  Not to worry!  I pulled the cars out of the garage, left the door open and put the OBS out there.  Gave them pretty much the same treatment as I did the baby backs and they were knockout good.  Here's what they looked like coming out of the oven and heading to the ftc for the trip to mom in laws.   

http://picasaweb.google.com/jha1223/Smoker?authkey=Gv1sRgCIyR9YOH4Lqk9wE#5334383915181236722

I have been tasked with cooking for 30-40 in a few weeks.  So expect a "how in the heck am i going to do that" post coming real soon.

Thanks again everyone, from all of our stomachs!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Smokin Soon

Quite a few have had problems with ribs at first. But those look awesome! Meat pulled back from the bone just right. Let us know how Mom liked them!

deb415611

Caneyscud

Now that is a Mother's Day gift to cherish.  To heck with flowers and cards, they don't taste all that good and they get thrown away and forgotten pretty quickly.  Now, them ribs, each time she sees you now, there will be this little wry smile come across her lips!  Job well done!  BTW, can't beat spareribs!

Don't sweat the 30 - 40! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Jim, Congrats on winning MIL approval. Just a suggestion to make the Baby Backs "Not so fall off the bone" I use 3-1-1 on Baby Backs and 3-2-1 on Spares. Seems to work for me. Hope it does for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jha1223

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 11, 2009, 01:08:54 PM
Jim, Congrats on winning MIL approval. Just a suggestion to make the Baby Backs "Not so fall off the bone" I use 3-1-1 on Baby Backs and 3-2-1 on Spares. Seems to work for me. Hope it does for you.

Thank you for that tip. I will not forget for the next round.
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!