• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pickled sausage question

Started by SemperFiPhil, May 12, 2009, 07:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFiPhil

Hello all.  Last weekend I smoked a few mini-fatties and a couple italian sausages and that got me thinking.  The smoked sausage was so good, I have to wonder how good it would be pickled.  I loved my hot peppers and pickled peppers, and peppered pickles.  I know this may be a bit off topic for this "Smoker Forum" but what is a good safe way to pickle sausages? 

Thanks all and keep it smokin'!

Smokin Soon

I call 'em Bar Sausages. Popular in the midwest, could not find in California. Search for some pickled egg recipes and use the same. It's just white vinegar, some pickling spice, onions,brown sugar, spices or anything you want to throw in there. Add heat as required.

smokeitall

Yeah what SS said.  Smoked Pickled Polish Sausage is my favorite.

oldsmoker

I did some pickled sausage and turned out great. One thing that you have to do is let pickling cool down if you put it in jars hot it will cause the fat in the sausages to come out.
OLDSMOKER

Smokin Soon

I think I have posted before, that it's a great way to salvage some sausages or beef stix that you may have over cooked, or seemed too dry. Very tasty.

WhiteSmoke

That's an awesome plan!

I made about 12 lbs of summer sausage in pepperoni sized casing on the Victoria Day Weekend just past and pickling some would be the BEST!

Thanks for the Noodle Nudge!