This is a great site for a newbie! Thanks!

Started by kaz, May 17, 2009, 05:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

Hello:
This looks like a really great spot for people like me that are doing our homework BEFORE buying a new smoker. My CharBroil "can" just burned up so I began my search for a replacement. A friend owns a Bradley Digital (and a green egg) so I went to see both of his and get his guidance.
Now I know it will be a Bradley .......... just need to understand WHICH model and where to buy it (Amazon / Bradley /eBay). I've been reading this morning about the merits of each model and this forum has REALLY been informative. I know what a PID is now !!! I'm a casual smoker ....... ribs, briskets, salmon so the take I get is that a basic (Original) 4 rack SHOULD work ....... but I kinda like the concept of digital ... especially if I get "into" smoking things like poultry.
So ANY tips or recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated and welcome.
KAZ (Hot Springs,) Arkansas
KAZ

deb415611

Welcome Kaz,

While I know people will pop in and tell you their preferences I will try to find some old links on the subject. 

I have a OBS and a Auber plug n play programmable PID,  if I were to do it again I would stay with exactly what I have.  It does everything that I need.  I'm a casual smoker also and do poultry in mine without a problem and don't think the digital would make a difference in what I am doing.

If you haven't found it already check out the recipe site http://www.susanminor.org/  which includes a faq section. 

Deb

kaz

Thank you for your reply and thoughts (GREAT dogs, too!!).
I must admit that I am smitten by what I've seen on this site. I can't seem to shut it down this morning.
Any thoughts on where to buy everything?
Thanks
KAZ

deb415611

Quote from: kaz on May 17, 2009, 06:12:16 AM
I must admit that I am smitten by what I've seen on this site. I can't seem to shut it down this morning.
Any thoughts on where to buy everything?
Thanks

Just one dog ;),  she is three months old and growing rapidly.

Bryan at Yard & Pool is a member and a great person to buy from  http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smokers-s/573.htm   
Tiny Tim is also a member  http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/

I bought mine at amazon but would buy from Bryan or Tiny if I were to do it again.  I think Bryan has a sale going on for the month of May. 

deb415611

Quote from: deb415611 on May 17, 2009, 06:18:39 AM
Quote from: kaz on May 17, 2009, 06:12:16 AM

Just one dog ;),  she is three months old and growing rapidly.

This site is great -- I actually got my pup through this site.  She is the daughter of Smoking Duck's beautiful dog, Steeler.  Here's a link to everyones beautiful pups   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8946.0

oldsmoker

WELCOME. great fourm alot of good advice and the gang are always willing to help you out.
OLDSMOKER

Caneyscud

Kaz, welcome to the forum.  Researching for buys is fun, and you've come to the right place!  Several of us own or have owned other smokers, so can give pros and cons to a bunch of them.  So don't be afraid to ask.  A smoker is nothing but a tool or piece of equipment.  It can be had in a number of configurations, depending on what you have in mind to do with it.  A screwdriver is a tool.  It can do a lot of things well especailly driving and backing out screws.  A plain old screwdriver, can do that job well, but thing about how much easier (in some ways) it is to drive screws with a powered driver!  The Bradley is the same although already a step or two up from a "basic" smoker.  The OBS can and will do anything you ask of it - it can and does make great 'Q.  Add a PID and you get (currently) the powered driver of the Bradley world - less tending and tighter control of temps necessary for some smokes.  A digital DBS is also a powered driver, but just the 12v kind not the 18v kind.  It has some nice features that the OBS doesn't, and you don't really need anything else, but if you truly desire tighter control on temps, then put a PID on the DBS.  Me - among other smokers, I have a DBS and I'm waiting until a wireless temperature controller comes out that I can monitor and control from my laptop.  ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

kaz

Special Thanks to deb415611 for her suggestion to contact Tiny Tim for the purchase of my new Bradley (OBS)!!!!
Tim is, like so many on this site, a great resource. I encourage anyone shopping for a new Bradley or accessories to give Tiny Tim a shot. I'm much more comfortable dealing with him than eBay ( although I love eBay!!).
Cheers!!!!
KAZ

Tiny Tim

Hi Kaz, welcome to the forum, and thank you for the plug (you too Deb, owe ya one).

Wildcat

Glad to hear you purchased from Tiny.  Great guy. I purchased my high temp screens from him.  Have not bought from Yard and Pool yet, but will one day.  He is another member on here and by all accounts is also great to deal with.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Anytime you find a seller that can actually pick up a phone and responds to questions is a winner in my book. !