American Heart Association fundraiser

Started by KyNola, May 17, 2009, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

For those of you who don't know, I'm a a banker of 37 years.  I have the privilege of working for a really cool bank.  I look nothing like a "typical" banker.  My hair is pretty much to my shoulders.  For the AMA fundraiser, they have asked me to not get my haircut until September and then get it all cut off in exchange for the employees of the bank raising a bunch of money.  At first I wasn't all about it until I remembered my father who truly intended to live to be 100 but died just short of his 86th birthday from complications of his 40 year heart problems and the fact that he hated long hair and would be thrilled that I had to get my hair cut.

This one's for you Dad.

Larry  :-*

Tenpoint5

Go get em Larry. I got an extra set of clippers if you need them!! I would like to ADD a little twist to your Fundraiser. Instead of just letting all that hair fall on the floor. Contact your local Locks of Love, and Donate that hair. So a wig can be made for some child or adult who is going through Chemo.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

1.Larry you are doing your father proud!
2.where can we make a donation?
3.will we get to see pics?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Habanero Smoker

That is a grand gesture and contribution to a great organization.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Larry,

That is awesome.  I second 10.5's idea to contact Locks of Love :)

Please keep us updated and give us the info to be able to contribute.

Deb

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Way, to go Larry!   and if your hair is long enough I highly recommend Locks of Love.  My daughter has done it twice now, because she know some kids who have had need of wigs.  I'm ashame, that I haven't done it myself.  Vanity  - I guess I just don't want to look like a white haired washed out hippie!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

Good on you KyNola!

A couple of years ago my daughter was involved in a cancer fundraiser and a local Dentist and myself were the victims. It was all good and they raised over 8,000.

It's just hair and it grows back... well... maybe a shade greyer.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Thanks all.  I had already thought about Locks of Love but I don't think my hair will be quite long enough for them.  While not certain, I think the hair has to be 13 inches long after it is cut and I don't think mine will be quite that long.

Will keep you advised.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Momma just informed me it is 10 inches Larry

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Great cause Larry. Is there a way we can pay pal a donation to you?
Pat and Ann.

KyNola

Hey everyone,
Wanted to recall this as next Wednesday the haircut takes place.  We have already raised more than I ever imagined.  Over $5,000 has been raised.  Way more than I thought folks would do.  For all of you who offered early on to contribute I thank you for your offer but that was never my intent and still isn't.  Just wanted to let you all know that the end is near!!! :o :o :o

Yes, my wife will be there for before and after pics. No skinhead nor buzz cut happening.

Larry

pensrock

shave... shave.... shave...  ;) ;D

great thing your doing for a great cause.
pens

Tenpoint5

Way to go Larry!!!! A good trim and taper with Marine Corp white walls will be just fine for you! You do realize that winter is coming and your melon is loosing its insulation!! All for a good cause!!

KyNola

Chris,
I have my hair pulled back in a ponytail today for the first time at work.  A few odd looks from some of my fellow employees but so what.  We are getting a break from normal August heat today and all weekend so when I stepped out the door this morning I immediately felt the cool air whiz past my ears and thought "and I'm getting this all cut off with winter not too far off?".

Timing is everything. ;)

Larry