• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Getting used to this?

Started by Pesu (Fumeur Pierre), May 20, 2009, 03:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesu (Fumeur Pierre)

Bonjour everyone,
I'm finding that what ever length of smoke time is recommended, I need to cut it in 1/2. I smoked some wings this past weekend and used about two hours of smoking (hickory). They were succulent and tasty but so smokey to the point of over powering. Brought some left overs to work today and ate in my office and had people stopping wondering what may be burning in my area.
So next time I'll use the same temperature (200F) same time but smoke for only 3 pucks long.
Ribs will be my next project and I expect to follow the same logic. I'm aiming to cold smoke some salmon and I want to get some experience under my belt. 

Up In Smoke

Pesu,
now you are on track (addicted) the fine tuning of your smoke.
the never ending enjoyment of smoking and tasting, smoking and tasting, smoking and tasting.
and of course the frosty adult beverages to reward yourself for your work!

My personal taste is to smoke the wings for an hour over apple or cherry, toss them in some franks hot sauce
and them finish them in the big easy.
(a variation of a recipe i received here but cannot remember from who!)

Again the best part of all of this is the tweaking/making it your own.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smokeitall

What was your vent position while smoking?  Full Open, 1/2 Open ?

Pesu (Fumeur Pierre)

The vent was varied , open and closed
but mostly closed.

NePaSmoKer

Any type of fowl takes smoke fast. When i do fowl i use 2-3 pucks of Alder, pecan or oak. Water in the pan and vent full open. If you close your vent you will have heavy bitter smoke, sometimes with a creosote taste and cause moisture to build up under the vent and drip black goo onto your food. Also closing your vent off will make smoke and moisture backup into the smoke generator and short out the circut board, this will also cause moisture to drip down over the faceplate where the sider is in front and short the circut board out there too. Just a few tips.

nepas

pensrock

What NEPAS said! Never run with the vent closed.

smokeitall

Yeah that sounds like where the overpowering smoke flavor came from.  Try them again with the vent fully open and let us know how they come out.

Pesu (Fumeur Pierre)

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it soon.
Have a good weekend