Memorial Weekend Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 24, 2009, 08:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here it is the first holiday of the summer. I got some jerky going for the smokeout in June.  8 racks with a cold smoke generator.

Close up of the generator.  No water in the pan, vent open full.

The generator mounted to my Bradley.

The top vented fan pulling the smoke throughout the smoker  ;D How many of you have a magnet like this one  ;D

nepas

Caribou

Nepas,
I don't have the magnet, the cold smoke generator, the fan, the jerky...
I have nothing!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
just kidding  ;)
Carolyn

Up In Smoke

Nepas,
what kind of smoke generator is that and where can i get a fan like that?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on May 24, 2009, 01:43:10 PM
Nepas,
I don't have the magnet, the cold smoke generator, the fan, the jerky...
I have nothing!  :'( :'( :'( :'(
just kidding  ;)
Carolyn

you silly   ;D  :D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Got the jerky all done. Used my wet marinade. Did some original backwoods style, Amish with a bit of red pepper flakes and some inferno (redish color)  ;D

nepas

Caribou

That's mighty purdy Nepas!
I think I'll be making jerky in the near future, too.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

I also made 1 lb of jerky with HM original, now i know why i cant stand it so i tossed it out. That stuff is awful.

Just my ¢2 worth.

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 24, 2009, 08:27:36 AM
How many of you have a magnet like this one  ;D

Why I do but it isn't as pretty as yours.  Been in the sun and weather so it has a little wear on it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

I know you have the high tech thingie on the vent, but what is the smoke device?

NePaSmoKer

Thats a cold smoke generator. Fill it with chunks, light from the bottom, put bottom and top caps on and smoke away.

nepas

Smokin Soon

What would be the advantage of that over the Bradley Cold Smoke setup? I really like mine except for the fragile hose setup, but I think Bradley is aware of that.

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 24, 2009, 07:10:33 PM
I also made 1 lb of jerky with HM original, now i know why i cant stand it so i tossed it out. That stuff is awful.

Just my ¢2 worth.

nepas
Nepas,
Just curious why you didn't like it, enough to throw it out?
I've made 2 batches from it, one I thought was pretty and one that came out too salty for some reason.
Followed the directions to the letter both times using venison.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on May 25, 2009, 05:08:10 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 24, 2009, 07:10:33 PM

Just my ¢2 worth.

nepas
Nepas,
Just curious why you didn't like it, enough to throw it out?
I've made 2 batches from it, one I thought was pretty and one that came out too salty for some reason.
Followed the directions to the letter both times using venison.
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

It just taste to store bought to me. I have a friend who works at the company who makes HM he gave me a case of it. Just dont like it.

nepas

aha638

I made my first HM jerky yesterday and was disappointed in the results!  I used 96/4% ground beef and did 4 racks (3 lbs) of their Bourbon BBQ and the same amount of their Pepper 'n Garlic.  Neither have the flavor "depth" I was expecting. 

I will also mention that they have a error in the "seasoning" table for 3 pounds of ground beef - the table call for 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon - it should be 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons which is what I used.

I smoke at 200º for 2 hours then continue "drying" at 180º.  It takes about 6 hours to get to the dryness I want.  What temperature schedules are you using for you jerky?

Al 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: aha638 on May 25, 2009, 09:19:24 AM
I made my first HM jerky yesterday and was disappointed in the results!  I used 96/4% ground beef and did 4 racks (3 lbs) of their Bourbon BBQ and the same amount of their Pepper 'n Garlic.  Neither have the flavor "depth" I was expecting. 

I will also mention that they have a error in the "seasoning" table for 3 pounds of ground beef - the table call for 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon - it should be 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons which is what I used.

I smoke at 200º for 2 hours then continue "drying" at 180º.  It takes about 6 hours to get to the dryness I want.  What temperature schedules are you using for you jerky?

Al 

200* is to high for jerky especially GM. I start my jerky at 140* and bump up to 170* so i don't fat-out the meat and use 3 to 5 pucks of wood, 1 hour or 1 hour 40 mins.  At times i cold smoke the jerky and finish in the dehydrator.

GM jerky should be 85/15 or 90/10 and wont take as long as strip jerky. (whole muscle)

Don't keep schedules, been doing this for a long time so i pretty much can tell when done. Jerky bendable (GOOD) jerky snap and break (BAD)

nepas