Got my SSBS last week.

Started by Curleyg, May 24, 2009, 01:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curleyg

Hey Y'all,
Glad to be here. You've all been so much help just by reading the threads, but thought I'd join in with my first experiences. I do have many hours/days/weeks/years on my old Brinkman smoker, so this should take just a few adjustments.
First smoke was a Boston butt and a rack of ribs. Rubbed the butt put the ribs in naked. Apple wood for seven hours. Five hours smoke. FTC for six or seven hours.
The ribs were devoured last nite. Couldn't have been better. Fell off the bone with great flavor. The butt, about three pounds, didn't get done.
That was yesterday. This morning. Three pound chuck roast rubbed, Two and half pound corned beef brisket fat side up and yesterdays butt in foil. Mesquite. Four hours took the butt out looks great and got to temp. Six hours smoke/cook for the rest. The corned beef is in the cooler the chuck roast in foil in the oven trying to get to temp.
I guess my question is, am I not cooking these long enough? Box temp says 225 to 235. Flue half open. Suggestions gladly accepted. Great site you folks are all Smokin.
U.S. Navy Retired

Gizmo

Are you using a thermometer to measure internal temperature not sure by your post of "got to temp"?  I guess the better question would be, what internal temperature are you trying to get to, and what temperature is the meat being exposed to?  The internal temp is the best method for hitting the done target for large cuts of meat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Curleyg

Thanks Gizmo, My experience has shown that 180 for the butts' IT is where it pulls easily. After 6 hours of 225 degrees it only got to 150. Same with the corned beef and the chuck. So with your help I've answered my own question. Not cooking them long enough. I'll just have to get up earlier. The chuck came out great after a couple of hours in the oven. Haven't tried the corned beef yet.
Thrilled with smoker and this forum. Y'all have a great Memorial day.
U.S. Navy Retired

Gizmo

Awesome Curleyg, glad they finished off well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Welcome Curleyg.  You are on you way to Bradley stardom!  Smoking isn't recipes and set times - you have to investigate, plan, and reinvent lots of times.  There are several things that seem to take longer than expected (3 pound butt at 7+ hours) and for me it is chuckies.  Like just about all smokers the cabinet temperature is not the same throughout the cabinet - it ranges depending on location.  Generally the lower racks are hotter than the top racks.  So generally, now, if I have a less than full Bradley, the meat gets put on a middle rack.  If I am full, then the tougher, bigger cuts, more forgiving cuts go on the bottom, with the more delicate pieces on top - keeps me from having to rotate racks. 

I also believe that the smaller cuts of meat such as the 3# butt and some of my chuckies can get up to "doneness" temperature before the fat renders properly and before the collagen can break down and make that meat tender.  That is when I employ the "Texas Crutch" of wrapping in foil and letting the piece steam and sweat for awhile.  Seems to hasten tenderness!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Curleyg

Thanks to all for the welcome and advise. Update on the corned beef. Absolutely delicious. Used Mesquite six hours of smoke (please no admonitions) I seriously like smoke. Since the corned beef already has a unique flavor I didn't mess with any marinade or rub. I put it in naked with fat side up. What remarkable flavor. Chicken quarters next weekend. I think I can get about thirty six in there. Jerky as soon as I get my jerky racks. Y'all have a great week.  :P
U.S. Navy Retired

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Curleyg on May 27, 2009, 12:13:11 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome and advise. Update on the corned beef. Absolutely delicious. Used Mesquite six hours of smoke (please no admonitions) I seriously like smoke. Since the corned beef already has a unique flavor I didn't mess with any marinade or rub. I put it in naked with fat side up. What remarkable flavor. Chicken quarters next weekend. I think I can get about thirty six in there. Jerky as soon as I get my jerky racks. Y'all have a great week.  :P

Sounds like its great corned beef.

FYI on the jerky racks, save your $$ the non-stick peels on them. Contact Bryan at Yard & Pool he has some very nice food grade sgreen that will sit right on your regular BS racks.

nepas

OU812

Corned Beef IS excellent in the smoker. I like to make rubins with it. Gives the sandwich a twist in taste.

I'll second what NePa said on the jerky racks. The non-stick started peeling off after my third smoke.

Curleyg

Thanks again. OU, hadn't thought about a Reuben sounds fantastic. NePa, a response from the great one himself was just too much for this newbie to expect. I've just looked at the screens at Yard and Pool, where I got my bubba pucks from. So now I'm thinking four extra racks to turn upside down and eight screens. Sound about right?
Thanks folks.
U.S. Navy Retired

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Curleyg on May 28, 2009, 10:52:44 AM
Thanks again. OU, hadn't thought about a Reuben sounds fantastic. NePa, a response from the great one himself was just too much for this newbie to expect. I've just looked at the screens at Yard and Pool, where I got my bubba pucks from. So now I'm thinking four extra racks to turn upside down and eight screens. Sound about right?
Thanks folks.

You got that right  ;D Turn your 4 rack into an 8 rack  ;D Temps might take a smidge longer cuz you got so much in there, But be patient  ;D

nepas

Curleyg

Just looked at site again. Which screens do you recommend. The Bradley smoker jerky drying screens, or the high temp jerky drying screens?
Thanks
U.S. Navy Retired

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Curleyg on May 28, 2009, 11:34:50 AM
Just looked at site again. Which screens do you recommend. The Bradley smoker jerky drying screens, or the high temp jerky drying screens?
Thanks

The high temp jerky screens. I have some they are very good.

nepas