• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Eye of round disks

Started by bflosmoke, May 24, 2009, 06:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

If I were to cut eye of round into disks across the grain would they fall apart?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: bflosmoke on May 24, 2009, 06:29:00 PM
If I were to cut eye of round into disks across the grain would they fall apart?

No they will not.

Cutting across is ok, it just might be a tad harder to rip with your toofes  :D  ;D

nepas

Gizmo

I have cut eye of round every way you can and never had one fall apart.  As Nepa mentioned, there is a bit of difference in percevied tenderness depending on the cut vs. grain.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

bflosmoke

FLBentRider

I use eye of round for most (if not all) of my jerky.

I usually start with a five pound roast.

I trim off the fat and cut the roast into thirds, then I cut the rounds in half with the grain. This step helps make consistent size chunks for partial freezing then slicing against the grain.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sueblazer03

I've cut it both ways with no problem but a friend of mine gave me some that was cut accross the grain and it was very dry. Because it broke appart so easily it was like having a mouth full of small daggers.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sueblazer03 on May 25, 2009, 04:07:02 PM
I've cut it both ways with no problem but a friend of mine gave me some that was cut accross the grain and it was very dry. Because it broke appart so easily it was like having a mouth full of small daggers.

Stick with us sue and give your friend some good jerky cut anyway  ;D

nepas