• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need advice-Accidently left meat in cooler 24hrs

Started by sueblazer03, May 25, 2009, 03:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sueblazer03

What do you think I should. I made 25 lbs of beef jerky yesterday. I also had some caribou meat. The caribou was defrosting in the fridge and it leaked and made a mess. When I prepare a big batch of jerky I normally put it in a cooler between steps. (Four whole eye of round.) When I was done preparing the beef jerky with a dry cure I left them in the cooler because the fridge in the basement was a mess.

I prepared the caribou with a wet teriyaky cure and put it in the fridge upstairs. Then I went down the basement and cleaned the fridge. I needed to pick up my son so I took off. When I got back I cleaned up my jerky making mess but I had a major disconnect about the meat in the cooler.

The cooler is a Coleman 5 day type. The meat didn't smell or look or feel bad. The internal temp of the bags were 63 F to 65 F by the time I realized my mistake. I am not smoking the meat, I'm dehydrating it at 160 F.

My logical self tells me heating it to 160 F should kill any nasties and it's hard for bacteria to survive in such a salty environment but my uptight self says it not too late to throw it all out. What do you people think?

NePaSmoKer

I do allot of hunting and jerky making. If your game does not smell more than likely your fine. Go ahead and dehydrate it. Like you said you have cure on it.

nepas

sueblazer03

Thanks Nepas. Your advice and knowledge are appreciated. I got it all in the dehydrator right now. My plan is to forbid my son from eating any until at least 12 hours after I try some. (Like that could happen!)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sueblazer03 on May 25, 2009, 04:02:15 PM
Thanks Nepas. Your advice and knowledge are appreciated. I got it all in the dehydrator right now. My plan is to forbid my son from eating any until at least 12 hours after I try some. (Like that could happen!)

sue  have an idea  ;D

send me a pound and i will be your taste tester. If i post back to you i am ok, if not DONT EAT IT  ;D  :D :D

nepas

sueblazer03

You are a brave man Nepas. The jerky was fine I had some this morning and it tasted good and no ill effects all day. I usually bring some in to work for the guys, but I left this batch at home just in case.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sueblazer03 on May 26, 2009, 02:40:59 PM
You are a brave man Nepas. The jerky was fine I had some this morning and it tasted good and no ill effects all day. I usually bring some in to work for the guys, but I left this batch at home just in case.

I figured it would be ok. I have done something like that and the venison was still good.

nepas