• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rytek Book Error?

Started by sodak, May 26, 2009, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

Was looking at the fourth edition of the bible and happened to glance at the turkey brine recipe.  My book calls for 1 lb of Cure #1 (along with other seasoning) in 5 gallons of water.  I believe this is a typo for 1 Tb. which would translate to about the appropriate amount (and even that may be a bit heavy).

Am I losing my mind?

Tenpoint5

I have the 3rd edition which brine are you looking at what page#? Never mind I found it in my edition on page 327 it does sound like a lot so I called The Sausage maker to make sure it wasn't a mistake in the printing. Was informed that that is the correct amount and that if it sounded like to much salt to cut back on the regular salt in the brine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

I can't imagine using a whole pound of cure on anything?  ???

FLBentRider

That's what I was thinking, but then Five gallons of water is quite a bit.

I have not done enough wet cures to know. I did do a packaged (wet) cure mix for turkey legs that I was not happy with.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

That is around average for a wet brine (pickle). I use 3 ounces for 1 gallon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Sounds about right to me also, I use 4 oz per gallon.

sodak

One pound of #1?  Really?  I feel like trying it and having someone else taste it.  Kind of like, here...try this mushroom.

Smokin Soon

I just looked at my book to make sure. Not gonna happen here!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: sodak on May 26, 2009, 06:30:02 PM
One pound of #1?  Really?  I feel like trying it and having someone else taste it.  Kind of like, here...try this mushroom.

It is not "Kind of like, here...try this mushroom."; because these are time tested formulas.

In the book Charcuterie, they have a pickle for ham that uses 1.5 ounces of cure #1 per gallon, but I haven't used it, and probably won't. You may want to take a look at that formula.

One pound of cure # 1 is a little more then 1.5 cups; 3 ounces is a little less then third of a cup. If you use less then 3 ounces per gallon I feel it is a waste, because you will not have accomplished much and might have as well saved your cure #1 and just a salt brine. I have seen earlier printed formulas from trusted sources that have used 6 ounces per pound.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sodak

Thanks, Habs.  I understand where you're coming from. 

OU812

I agree with Habs, as I have done some brine's without the cure and they call for 12 oz of Kosher salt per gall of water and they don't come out overly salty as long as you watch how lone the product is in the brine and remember to rinse.

As I'm sure everyone no's there's only 6% nitrite in the cure and the rest is only salt