Smoked Tri-Tip on a stick

Started by w squared, May 19, 2009, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w squared

I've had it once...in Eureka, Montana. It was hauntingly good. The texture and flavour of the meat would lead me to believe that it was hit with a subtle dry rub, and then hot smoked. It was served "dry" with some sauce available for dipping.

Has anyone ever made this or something similar?

jha1223

Quote from: w squared on May 19, 2009, 02:33:32 PM
I've had it once...in Eureka, Montana. It was hauntingly good. The texture and flavour of the meat would lead me to believe that it was hit with a subtle dry rub, and then hot smoked. It was served "dry" with some sauce available for dipping.

I'm hoping someone says yes because that sounds fantastic!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Wildcat

I have had something that sounds like what you had.  Did not do it myself, but I attended an outside event once in Texas where they made something similiar and were cooking on a grill utilizing wood instead of gas or charcoal.  Tasted really good.  Do not know what spices were being used.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Quote from: jha1223 on May 19, 2009, 02:58:01 PM
Quote from: w squared on May 19, 2009, 02:33:32 PM

I'm hoping someone says yes because that sounds fantastic!

YES
Not on a stick but on a metal skewer.  Very tender and moist as can be seen in the photo.

Bias Cut and staked out.
That one was actually cooked in The Big Easy for just a few minutes.  Seasoned with South Seas Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style Seasoning.

I also bias cut some thin slices, seasoned them with  Tri-Tip seasoning and hit them with 120 minutes of Mesquite at 225 ish.  Yah Calis, I broke away from the traditional wood.  They cooked without smoke for another 30 minutes or so.  Very tender, moist, smokey and ooohhhh sooooo  goooooood.  Looking forward to some sammys tomorrow night with rest.
This was so melt in the mouth delish, I believe I would take this over Filet Mignon every day of the week. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

starship

OK, what IS Tri-Tip?

Sounds like something to add to my files (and belly)
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Caneyscud

Quote from: starship on May 20, 2009, 01:03:49 AM
OK, what IS Tri-Tip?

Ahh that is the question Grasshopper.  With no certainty did I think something called tri tip existed except manifested in the harmonious delusions of certain Left Coast citizens.  First thing to know is that ,in the U.S. the enjoyment and popularity of tri tip originated in California!  My purpose of mentioning that is not at all to get anyone to question whether that something that originated in California and deals with smoke is legal!  ;D

Seriously the tri tip is a roast that can be cooked like a steak or a steak that can be cooked like a roast.  It is a triangular muscle that is located at the bottom of the bottom round part of a beef hindquarter.  On my little picture of Angus Angie in my signature go to where the flank, shank, round and bottom round come together.  The very bottom of the bottom round is the tri tip.  Used to be ground up into hamburger in the U.S. but was cut up into small steaks in Europe until 1950's.  Some unknown in Santa Maria, California decided it would be a good piece of meat to grill on it's own, and ever since has been very popular on the west coast.  More often marinated, sprinkled and grilled.  But can be smoked.  It has that delicious full roast flavor, relatively tender (sometimes real tender), and with a low fat content. 

For most of the U.S. it is an elusive beast.  Seems the Cali's hoard the stuff.  Looked for it here in Nashville for months.  Some say they have it occasionally, but couldn't tell me when, some said they could order it, but would have to be a whole case - Yikes - that would have been nearly $400 in tri tip.  Finally found a poor pitiful ultra-trimmed piece at one or our Whole Paychecks - but it wasn't getting into my basket at $12.99 per pound!  Then one day passing a new store in our area and remembered that somebody said that the chain was based in California.  So I went into Trader Joe's and by golly, there was tri tip.  Absconded with one and put it in the smoker, but wasn't overly impressed with it low and slow.  Seems that everyone recommends marinated, sprinkled and grilled as the best way, so soon I will try it that way. However at $6.99 per pound, I am more likely to grab a brisket, chuckie, or clod for barbecue or a chuck eye, rib eye, t-bone, or NY strip for my steak.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Gizmo

Got Choice ones here for $1.99 per lb.  That is what I grabbed.  Going to pick up a few more tomorrow night.

ExpatCanadian

Whenever I visit my sister in Edmonds, WA....  we pick up a jumbo pack of tri-tip at Costco.  I'd never heard of it before, but it's surprisingly good.  Of course...  wouldn't trade it for a good (or maybe even any  :D) ribeye. But for the price, you can't complain!

zzzippper

Quote from: Caneyscud on May 20, 2009, 06:27:13 AM
Quote from: starship on May 20, 2009, 01:03:49 AM
OK, what IS Tri-Tip?

Ahh that is the question Grasshopper.  With no certainty did I think something called tri tip existed except manifested in the harmonious delusions of certain Left Coast citizens.  First thing to know is that ,in the U.S. the enjoyment and popularity of tri tip originated in California!  My purpose of mentioning that is not at all to get anyone to question whether that something that originated in California and deals with smoke is legal!  ;D

Seriously the tri tip is a roast that can be cooked like a steak or a steak that can be cooked like a roast.  It is a triangular muscle that is located at the bottom of the bottom round part of a beef hindquarter.  On my little picture of Angus Angie in my signature go to where the flank, shank, round and bottom round come together.  The very bottom of the bottom round is the tri tip.  Used to be ground up into hamburger in the U.S. but was cut up into small steaks in Europe until 1950's.  Some unknown in Santa Maria, California decided it would be a good piece of meat to grill on it's own, and ever since has been very popular on the west coast.  More often marinated, sprinkled and grilled.  But can be smoked.  It has that delicious full roast flavor, relatively tender (sometimes real tender), and with a low fat content. 

For most of the U.S. it is an elusive beast.  Seems the Cali's hoard the stuff.  Looked for it here in Nashville for months.  Some say they have it occasionally, but couldn't tell me when, some said they could order it, but would have to be a whole case - Yikes - that would have been nearly $400 in tri tip.  Finally found a poor pitiful ultra-trimmed piece at one or our Whole Paychecks - but it wasn't getting into my basket at $12.99 per pound!  Then one day passing a new store in our area and remembered that somebody said that the chain was based in California.  So I went into Trader Joe's and by golly, there was tri tip.  Absconded with one and put it in the smoker, but wasn't overly impressed with it low and slow.  Seems that everyone recommends marinated, sprinkled and grilled as the best way, so soon I will try it that way. However at $6.99 per pound, I am more likely to grab a brisket, chuckie, or clod for barbecue or a chuck eye, rib eye, t-bone, or NY strip for my steak.

I first met tri-tip at Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA about 15 years ago.  I have searched for it ever since and just this weekend saw it in a local butcher shop (Valenti's Market in Saint Peters, MO if that helps).  I didn't get it because I was on a quest for St. Louis cut ribs.  It needs a special dry rub too and when done right it's unforgettably delicious and MIYM tender.  MIYM = Melt In Your Mouth...I love making up acronyms for this site!

Wildcat

MIYM = Melt In Your Mouth...I love making up acronyms for this site!

:P I hate acronyms in general, but I guess we all have our crosses to bear.  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

CB

One of my favorite Guest Chefs at Sizzle on the Grill is Steve Feller - known as 'Da Judge" as he is a certified KCBS judge and contributes his thoughts and recipes to use.

Last year about this time he offered up what turned out to be a very popular recipe for Tri-Tip called:

Judge Steve's TRI-TIP WORCESTERSHIRE
Ingredients
Take one or two tri-tips (this makes great sandwiches for lunch the next day) - sometimes you can get them with the fatcap on them, which I prefer for low and slow. (see below).
½ Cup vegetable oil
¼ Cup water
¼ Cup red wine vinegar
¼ Cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons McCormick's Worcestershire Pepper

Directions
Mix these all together and place in seal able plastic bag or baking dish. Marinate for 1 to 3 hours, rotating meat every so often. Turn your grill to high and let warm up 10-15 minutes. Remove tri-tip from marinade, pat gently to remove excess marinade and place on grill. Sear each side for about 5 minutes (be very careful of flames the vegetable oil can cause flare-ups). Turn heat down to medium and grill some 30-40 minutes until an instant read thermometer is about 10 degrees below the serving temperature you prefer (if you like medium rare at 145, pull at 135-137). Let rest 10-15 minutes wrapped in foil. Open and slice for serving. Sprinkle with extra McCormick's Worcestershire Pepper and drizzle with any juices found in the foil.

LEFTOVER TRI-TIP WORCESTERSHIRE
Make sure you have some left for sandwiches. Slice the tri-tip very thin. There are two great ways to accent your sandwiches:
   1. If you have a crusty bread, pour a few drops of Worcestershire on the bread - it should soak into the soft part without softening the crust too much.
   2. An hour (or more) in advance make a compound butter out of 2 or 3 parts butter to 1 part Worcestershire sauce. Melt butter. Stir in Worcestershire. Place in refrigerator for an hour or so to harden back up. Spread on your bread.
Happy Grilling!

Gizmo

Looks like a must do recipe CB.  Thanks for the post.  Hope I still have a tip in the freezer.    :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Gizmo on June 01, 2009, 08:38:05 PM
Looks like a must do recipe CB.  Thanks for the post.  Hope I still have a tip in the freezer.    :)

Traeger Tri Tip Worcestershire  ;D

OH YEAH BABE

nepas

Caribou

Thanks for the recipe CB!
Caneyscud,
It's funny you mention the term tri tip originating from CA.
When I used to live in CA and show dogs up and down the state every weekend, we would see these booths they had at many of the shows selling tri-tip sandwiches and we got hooked on them big time.  But I had never heard of that particular cut of  beef until then.
Carolyn