Trying to learn the smokes

Started by trmccone, May 27, 2009, 10:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trmccone

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to buy a 6 rack dbs hopefully in the next few days, and am trying to learn some things about the smokers and some good recipes.  Anyone that can give me any tips on where to buy from or any great recipes I'm wide open for them.  Thinks for your help, and I'm glad to be a new member. 

Gizmo

Bryan at yard and pool and Tiny TIm, both members of the forum are great folks to deal with.  Amazon typically has great deals on pucks when they have their 48 count buy 3 get 1 Free deal.  Below my post is a link for the recipe site that the members here have contributed to and geared to the Bradley.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

trmccone

Thanks for the tips Gizmo.  I will check these out.  I am looking forward to buying one.

trmccone

I am looking at the 6 rack dbs, but I would also like to hear your opinions on which type of bradley to buy and what set ups.  Reading a lot about PID's and stuff.   Need the best smoker set up for the best $'s.

Habanero Smoker

Hi trmccone;

Welcome to the forum.

As for recipes, search this site there are plenty. Also there as many recipes on the recipe site.

Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum trmccone!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

IKnowWood

Welcome.

If you are looking for best price.  Have you considered the 4rack OBS with the plug and play PID.  Other than building your own and using the smoke gen unit, that's the best price.  Then its finding a deal. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

kaz

I concur!!!
I joined this wonderful forum all ready to buy a Digital Stainless off of eBay. Spent a few days reading and asking questions ........ things like "what's a PID?" and "BUBBAPUCKS?" ....... this group REALLY headed me in a MUCH smarter direction. For the same money I was prepared to spend on the Stainless Digital I bought the Original 4 rack in black, a PID from Auber Instruments, and a Maverick E73 Thermometer. It arrived yesterday!!!! One member of this group posted about a sale on Amazon which included shipping for $275 .............. got a bunch of briquettes shipped with it for free as well.
I'll be putting the whole thing together and smokin' up my first batch of something this weekend.
Best people --- Best info ----- rest recipes ======= BEST FORUM!!!!
KAZ

Caneyscud

Welcome to the form trmccone!  This is a great place to get suggestions and learn.  You will be amazed with the amount of food that a 4 rack can smoke - and both it and the 6 rack have the same heating elements.   Many have gone with an OBS and a PID as others have said.  But lots and lots of great meats have come out of a OBS with no PID.  And lots and lots of great meats have come out of a DBS - just a little easier for the smoker than the OBS.  There are a few nice things about a DBS that even a few people have spent the extra for it and then put a PID on it such as the SS interior, smoke timer control, door construction, no electronics below the cabinet.... A PID controller can help keep tighter temps and do some programmable things that although not necessary for the majority of successful smokes, sure come in handy for some.  So, the decisions gets down to what you are going to do with it.  Butts, briskets, and chicken thighs are pretty forgiving and you might not want to spend $ on a PID.  But if you are thinking about sausages, bacon, fish, lox.... then you might have a need for the PID. 

Oh and Kaz - we are expecting pics!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

trmccone

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.  Does the PID on the OBD work better than just having DBS?   It sounds like you get a lot more control with a PID.  And what's the differences between a OBD with PID and a DBS? 

lumpy

I have a DBS and a PID. Some think its over kill but I like all the bling! My friends think I'm the techno killer smoker man ;D

The  difference is that the PID is doing what the digital in the DBS is doing but one difference, the PID is tons more accurate than the electronics on the DBS. The electronics on the DBS get by passed when using the PID.

Lumpy

trmccone

Thanks Lumpy.  So it sounds like I should be just fine with getting an OBD/PID combo??  Are their any other accessories that are recommended on getting right away.   Looking to order soon.

lumpy

Get a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer. You can get a good price from Brian at Yard and Pool.

With these 3 goodies, you should be good for at least a few months. ;)

Ask us in 3 months what to buy next ;D

Lumpy

smokeitall

Welcome trmccone, enjoy all of your new toys when you get them, oops I mean tools.  I have an OBS and PID and couldn't be happier.

Caneyscud

Quote from: trmccone on May 28, 2009, 09:12:20 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.  Does the PID on the OBD work better than just having DBS?   It sounds like you get a lot more control with a PID.  And what's the differences between a OBD with PID and a DBS? 
About $100 MSRP

There are a few nice things found on the DBS not found on the OBS....  SS interior, smoke timer control, door construction, no electronics below the cabinet.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"