Submersion Chiller or Refrigerator Question?

Started by Stargazer, May 29, 2009, 02:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Question for the curing pros. 

I been having a great time and good luck curing hams and smoking them up. Since I recently moved though I am with out the option of using a refrigerator to store my ham while curing in a bucket of brine.

What I use to do was clean out my fridge and dedicate the entire space for my ham w/bucket so I could have best possible temp control. Keeping the temp in the ball park of around 46-50 degrees. By keeping it strictly for cure use at that time also helps eliminate constant opening of the door for a beer, soda, or whatever.

However, where I just moved "back in with my father" he loves my hams but kind of frowns on hijacking the fridge for doing this LOL. I can't really blame him though, but still want to keep as close of a controlled temp needed as possible for hams and bacons when time comes for doing them.

Easter I was able to keep the bucket holding my ham in brine in the basement, it was just cool enough at the time being... maybe alittle warmer then I wanted though.

Ok, my question... does anyone know about submersion chillers? Such as for home beer making?

Do they work and if so, could one be used to place into a bucket of brine for a ham as not to need the use of a refrigerator?

If not, I haven't ruled out the possibility of purchasing a smaller used fridge for best temp control while curing. I'm already in the project of making a dry curing chamber with humidity control for dry cure sausages but thats another topic post for later.

Thanks to all in advance for any help
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

3rensho

Interesting question.  I've got to check out immersion chillers as I have just completed a controlled humidity box for dry curing sausages and meats.  Humidity control is good but I might look into a chiller when the cellar gets a tad too warm.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

deb415611

Stargazer,

This might be the time to pick up a larger dorm sized fridg since it's the end of the college year.    I'd watch Craigslist for one.  Does anyone know if they hold the temp well enough for curing?    I also think you would need to be careful w/ measurements.  

I'm starting to look at them for my son who is going off to college in the fall,  his school has 4.4 cu ft ones for $75 (it doesn't say but they may be used - students buying & selling them back)

I'm interested in your dry curing chamber project so pls. post that when you have a chance.

Deb

NePaSmoKer

A wine fridge is pretty nice. You can get the 50-60 % RH that you need for sausage. I used one for mine but it stopped working, was a wine unit a friend gave me.

nepas

Caneyscud

Poli has a very good description of a curing chamber on his site.  Here is the link http://lpoli.50webs.com/Tips.htm- scroll down to the Humidity Control section, then click on Creating An Ideal Environment For Dry Curing Sausage.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Stargazer

Originally what I was thinking for a chiller was the submerging, then thinking about it while doing some research, the wort chillers are metal and pretty expensive. I know its not a good idea to put your brine or cure in any metal container as the cure can react with the metal and also give bad flavors to the meat. Plus if it quickly ruined the chiller that's some bucks down the drain.

So the idea came up to coil some copper tubing around the outside of a portable basement type sink to pump water thru it. Sort of like the opposite of a flake stand for a reflux or pot still for hard spirits if you will.

Instead of running water all 7 - 10 days, rig up a pump to recycle the water, sort of like liquid cooling idea for computers. Then add some sort of temp controller for that water. This would allow to dial in the temp alittle better instead of being subject to whatever the temp of the water running through the copper tubing wanted to be. For distilling temp is not a problem as long as its cold "for worm and flake NOT boiler", but for ham curing I really want to make sure the temp is as close as I can for that ham :)

However, that's a heap of work "and mighty expensive" to do something like that which MIGHT get some decent results, but then again, might not work either.

I'm going to look into the wine fridge idea Nepas said, seems like the best all around logical way which would guarantee to chill properly. Plus thinking about it, I could use that same wine fridge for dry cure bacon's as well. But small enough to not take up to much space and might be alittle more forgiving on the electric bill then a full size fridgrator.

Thanks Nepas and to everyone else :D

smokeitall

Hey Stargazer, one of my buddies made this for making beer:

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/38DD-Mother-of-a-Fermentation-Chiller

As you can tell from all the wine bottles you see in the pictures he also makes his own wine.  I have tried several of them and they are great.  I have seen the chiller up close and working and I gotta tell you I was pretty impressed.  It is also a pretty low cost solution.  Yours could be a little smaller.

Stargazer

smokeitall... thats one heck of a kicken set up. I really like that. Its a little different then I was thinking originally but I really like this.

Have you noticed any fluctuation in the temp at all and if so what would you say? Approx ±3°F or so? Just curious, because if it can hold a good stable and static or close to static temp for up to 10 to 15 days, this would make a beautiful ham curing cooler box. Most smaller hams usually 7 to 10 days cure time, but I got access to a farm close by and can get whole legs which have taken up to 15 days to cure. But never had a need for anything past 15 days.

I have this bookmarked and going to look into this alittle more. I do like this.

Thanks for posting this smokeitall :D

FLBentRider

I have one of the small refrigerators that Sams Club sells in my office.

I can't say that the temperature regulation is all that stellar.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

Hey Stargazer I will find out some more information from my buddy on this and let you know.  Some beer needs to be a at a certain temperature for many days and I remember this one doing pretty good.  I was just down at his house yesterday I wish I would have read your post on Thursday.  I will be back down there next week and let you know.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 30, 2009, 05:36:03 AM
I have one of the small refrigerators that Sams Club sells in my office.

I can't say that the temperature regulation is all that stellar.

I bought a small beverage refrigerator from Sam's, hoping to use it for dry cured sausage; but that didn't work out well. I does work well for keeping beverages cold. It is also perfect to hold a 5 gallon bucket when brining my ham. It is made by Haier, has a glass door, and no freezer. When stocking it with beverages, the shelve don't store bottles upright too well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

Quote from: Stargazer on May 29, 2009, 10:17:09 PM
smokeitall... thats one heck of a kicken set up. I really like that. Its a little different then I was thinking originally but I really like this.

Have you noticed any fluctuation in the temp at all and if so what would you say? Approx ±3°F or so? Just curious, because if it can hold a good stable and static or close to static temp for up to 10 to 15 days, this would make a beautiful ham curing cooler box. Most smaller hams usually 7 to 10 days cure time, but I got access to a farm close by and can get whole legs which have taken up to 15 days to cure. But never had a need for anything past 15 days.

I have this bookmarked and going to look into this alittle more. I do like this.

Thanks for posting this smokeitall :D

Stargazer,

The fermentation chiller will maintain a +- 1°F on 15 gallons of beer with the ice setup. The frequency to change the ice is dependent on the ambient temperature and the set temperature and the temperature of the beer. With ice you don't want to try and lower a large mass temperature, more to maintain. In my basement with two 7.5 gallon carboys of beer I change the ice once a day. The glycol setup will chill a large mass as well as maintain the temp. The temperature control is cheap and easy to do. Putting the probe in the brine or taping it to the outside of the bucket will give you the most stable temperature.

Here is a link to my web site, smokeitall found a friends site that mirrors some of my stuff.

http://suburb.semo.net/jet1024/BeerHome.htm

John

canadiansmoker

When I was brining/curing 2 turkeys recently I used an old wine fridge. It kept the 2 turkeys in brine cold for a week with no problems.

KrantFer

I've got to analysis out captivation chillers as I accept just completed a controlled clamminess box for dry abating sausages and meats.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KrantFer on August 06, 2009, 01:38:31 AM
I've got to analysis out captivation chillers as I accept just completed a controlled clamminess box for dry abating sausages and meats.

Hi KrantFer,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the process of building a dry curing cabinet (chamber) using a freezerless refrigerator. Are you making any fermented sausages, and if so are you using your cabinet to ferment. If you are, what heating source are you using, and why did you choose that type of source? Are you using a humidifier; if so what brand and model?

I'm kind on on stall right now, because during the summer months the selection of heaters and humidifiers are almost non-existent. Most retailers tell me by the end of August or early September is when they will start stocking them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)