• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Door gasket problem

Started by Ka Honu, May 29, 2009, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Brian -

Received and installed the new gasket today.  Thanks for the quick response (For a "routine replacement part," one week from Canada to Illinois to Hawaii definitely qualifies as a "quick response").

I may have found the reason for the original problem.  When I took the old gasket off, I noticed that several of the holes in the "inner flange" (for want of a better term - the part that's screwed between the two parts of the door) were torn loose because the screws had gone through the edge of the flange itself instead of the holes provided (between the hole and edge of the flange closest to the center of the door).  You might consider a wider or heavier flange and/or using washers between the flange and the outer door to hold it a bit more securely.

I also noticed that when I replaced the gasket, there now appears to be a slight gap between the gasket and the smoker box.  Hopefully the gasket will "settle" and expand a bit - the test will be tomorrow when I fire it up for a boneless leg of lamb (plus some tasso and chicken thighs just to fill up the shelves a bit).

Thanks again and wish me luck.

car54

Ka Honu,

Lamb is one off my favorites. What will your process be.

Thanks, Brad

Ka Honu

Pretty much like the one here except that I make my gravies with roux instead of cornstarch (You can take the boy out of the bayou but you can't take the bayou out of the boy).

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Ka Honu

When the new door gasket heats up a little give it a slight pull in the area where the gap is this will stretch it slightly and it should be fine then

If you still have the old gasket can you send me a close up picture of were the screws were torn out, I would like to send it to our inspector at the factory.

Thanks Brian

Ka Honu

Brian -

Here are a couple of pics of the top of the gasket where all four holes were torn.

I slid a piece of white stuff between the flanges for contrast.  The second photo is where the buckling occurred.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Ka Honu

Thanks for the pictures
Could i trouble you to send them to me as an attachment in a email

Please send to [email protected]

Thanks

Brian

Ka Honu

GlennG

Man I'm on my 6th smoke and the gasket/seal has come off the inner door frame.  The gasket is still attached to all the other edges of the door.  The trays are often sticky after a smoke and tend to rub against the inside flange.  I'm been very careful about it, but it still came off.  I'm in the middle of smoke and have to put up with it right now.

I guess I'd better register my Bradley.   Have had it for a few months but didn't anticipate anything going wrong.  I'm going to take a closer look to see if it's torn or if it's something less serious.  I just presumed the glue came loose, but I don't exactly know how this thing is attached.

Smokin Soon

In the automotive world, that's an over tightened gasket.

KyNola

Hey Glenn,
If that is your 6th smoke, have you cleaned the edge of the box where your gasket would seal against the box when the door is closed?  As you mentioned the trays are sticky.  The gasket and the surface around the edge of the box will get just as sticky from the smoke residue. The door gasket will stick and when you go to open it for the next smoke session, you can tear the gasket away from the door.  Try wiping both the gasket and the edge of the box with alcohol to remove the sticky residue.

KyNola

Gizmo

The gasket is attached with screws.  Take a look to see if it just slid out from under the gasket holes.  You might be able to get the screws to tighten back down long enough to be able to use if you need a new one.  As mentioned, cleaning the box and gasket will help keep it from sticking.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

GlennG

Thanks for the quick replies!
I wasn't sure what the proper term was for the rubber liner.

Yeah, I've been cleaning the rig after every smoke.  I haven't tried alcohol (but you know I hate to wste that!)  And yes I was cleaning the liner as well.  The liner was definitely sticking to the "fridge" sidewall, and was getting a lot of pulling pressure every time I went to open the OBS.  Anyway, hopefully it just fell off the screws.  I'll check it out tomorrow after the smoke is done.