• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Italian sausages

Started by lumpy, May 29, 2009, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

I'm doing a road trip to Colorado in a few weeks so I thought I'd stock up on some lip smak'n pepperoni sticks.
Ground up 5 lbs of pork, seasoned Italian sausage style. (added cayene and dryed jalepeno)

I used 22mm collegen casings. I found that they are easier to eat and dry alot faster than using anything larger.

Total time in BDS, 12 hours. 3 to dry them out at 130F then gradually up to 165F till I hit my IT of 152.

Gotta love that PID!

The baggie is for today consupmtion ;D

Lumpy

OU812

Looking good

Did you add any cure?

lumpy

I used cure # 1. 1 tspn for 5 Lbs.

Lumpy

OU812

I love Italian sausage never thought about makeing snack sticks out of it and I make alot of snack sticks. This is going to go on my to do list.

Thanks

Tenpoint5

Looks Great need to get some sausage stuff rounded up again.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Nice looking sticks there lumpy.

What kind of aluminum stock is that, Gives me an idea

nepas

lumpy

The last place I worked we bought it in 10' lengths. We cut what we need for framing. It is 1.5x1.5 with the tracks in it. To screw it together you would you use threaded keys, almost like "T"nuts on a milling machine table.

Stuff worked great, even better at home for sausage hanging, with a little mill work.

I was always thinking about making something to hang my sausages after stuffing. These work great.

Lumpy

smokeitall

That aluminum extrusion is made by 80/20 out of Indiana.  I sell Frameworld extrusion (comes out of Chicago).  they both interchange with each other.  Its 1.5x1.5 light, there is a heavy also, basically just more material.  There is a ton of different ways to connect the stuff together, t-nuts, gussets, threaded keys, etc...

Its a lot of fun to play with, kinda reminds me of tinker toys.

carnie1

I've $een that $tuff in the MSC and Grainger books, look$ like there are a lot of possibilites with it

lumpy

Like hanging sausages ;D

Lumpy

Caribou

Lumpy,
Those sausages came out great!
Yum!
Carolyn

Smokin Soon

I better look into something like that because I have been hanging sausages on anything I can find. The final blow was when she came home and found 5 pounds od sausage hanging from her beloved Jiffy ironing thingies with a series of clothes hangers with sausages hanging on several hangers. I will re-think that one! ;D

OU812

Lumpy

Did some Italian Sausage Snack sticks this weekend they turned out great.
Thanks for the idea.

lumpy

ou812,
Is that stainless mesh underneath the sticks?

You just gave me another idea.

Lumpy

OU812

Lumpy

Its high temp food grade plastic. Wish I could afford stainless mesh. I did check on the stuff, when they got back to me with the price I almost fell down.